User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yellow iris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WalMart corporate has been selling these from sea to shining sea. If you bought it at WallyWorld... I'm relatively sure you have Yellow Flag. WallyWorld also sells burning bushes, Bradford Pears, Cleveland Select Pears, and English Ivy by the boatloads. They're a part of the problem not the solution in my humble opinion and the fact that they rarely use botanical names really frustrates me. The only other iris WalMart seems to sell would be tall bearded and Dutch and those come in plastic baggies or boxes.

Minimal sprawl in the area in which you planted yours isn't a great barometer. I will swap your Yellow Flags for the native Blue Flag if the bidder is interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will kill all my yellow flag iris in "your" name for $10. LOL!~ what a nasty but attractive plant!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are in a controlled area in my bog. They do not have a chance of getting out because it is dry here (no natural water for miles).

aprilh is that a $10 bid to destroy them?
    Mark do you still want any?
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naaa, shes probably not bidding on yours and it sort of looks as if she is making a donation. I think April may have one or two at her house that are evidently going to go to iris heaven real soon? All of the ones that escaped and were growing in my wetlands met their maker about 5 years ago. And the ones across the street were hit with an acetylene torch two years ago but all those neighbors had to do was just grab by the base and gently pull up and out. Sometimes you have to use a little spade to help wiggle them out but not usually. I think they just like burning things. Burning doesn't work with them as it didn't get to the rhizomes but they got them last year.

I think the big problem with Iris pseudacorus is that its rhizomes wash out during heavy rains and flood events. that is probably how they got over by me back somewhere around 1987 or maybe it was 1989 when we had what I think was being referred to as a 500 year flood. There wasn't even a house here yet but when we moved in, I found it everywhere and it was in huge dense stands so it probably had a good ten years to get established where ever it came from. After last year with the Des Plaines river blessing/cursing us with yet another 100 year flood (had one just a few years ago in 2000 I think), were finding it everywhere now and probably will for another few years. I think Ive had just about enough of these 100 year floods. The other "wild card" issue is that it is a prolific seeder and birds spread it to yet other areas.

I'll bid $5 in April's name to destroy one of your lots since she bid $3 on my pearlwort.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think It'll be a good idea to plant them where I'm going to be in NC, it's very wet there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now that I know that they are invasive I think I will destroy the lot. No bid needed.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mind admitting this anymore but... I've planted more than my fair share of invasive plants that I had no idea were invasive.

I had a landscaper who told me that I needed to plant Burning Bushes here because they would really make a statement in my front yard. They made a statement all right. In my front yard and in the neighbor's front yard and in the woods. I tore out all 12 about 4 years ago. You know what's interesting, when I asked why he sold them to me, he stated "they weren't against the law to sell yet".

*I also planted Russian Olives here- loved the shimmery leaves.
    *Bradford and Cleveland Pears- I was told they'd grow fast, real fast and that they were sterile.
    *Then there were the gorgeous White Mulberries I planted.
    *Lemme see, the Lily of the Valley is special, real special.
    *And I just loved that Snow All Summer until it showed up on the other side of my driveway the very next year.
    *Mustn't forget the 100 plugs of English Ivy I bought from Wally World... I'm still battling those to this day and I swear they are trying to penetrate my foundation to come inside.
    *I then wanted to plant wildflowers so I broadcast 20 (not one) packs of Dame's Rocket seed into the front of my yard. It was fun pulling up all of those before they went to seed once I found out what those really were. The seed packet said they naturalized well. Yup, they naturalized well all right.

Add all that I planted above to what was already here (Buckthorn, Japanese Honeysuckle, Porcelain Berry Vine, Yellow Flag Iris, Bittersweet Nightshade, Phragmitese, Purple Loosestrife, Crown Vetch, Queen Anne's Lace, Narrow Leaf Cattail, Reed Canary Grass, Japanese Knotweed, Moneywort, Creeping Charlie, Canada & Bull Thistle, Teasel, Reed Canary Grass, Periwinkle which is Vinca Minor and Major, Multiflora Rosa, and I'm sure I'm missing a few) and this place should have been dubbed "Invasive Acres". Live and learn.

If somebody would have offered to donate money to the NASC to destroy my lot, the NASC would be very well off right now. Very well off!

Rose, are you sure you want to say no bid is necessary? Ten bucks is ten bucks. 0zzy knew what they were when he bid and I was relatively sure by your description that I knew what you had. April bid on my pearlwort photo. There's an auction out there to save 0zzy's skink and an auction on nothing. Personally, I think you should set some aside for next year's auction. I'm sure I'll be able to round up some Purple Loosestrife or lily of The Valley for next year. Maybe we could go in joint- your Yellow Flag combined with my Purple Loosestrife and Lily of The Valley. Now if we could just find somebody to toss in Kudzu or Salt Cedar we'd have it made.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe we can auction off a video of me shooting all of those plants with my ak-47. I'm sure somebody will buy that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast