What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yellow iris

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two sizable batches of yellow bog Iris. They grow rapidly and add vive rant color to your bog. They also offer a little shade to the plants that need it. That is why I added it to my bog, but since it does grow well I now had to remove some. I will start the bidding at $5 because that should cover the shipping, maybe.These are beautiful plants, don't let them pass you by and end up in the composite heap.

What growing conditions do they need?

This isn't Yellow Flag Iris (Iris pseudacorus) is it?

$5

They need damp to wet soil or they can live in water.  They grow very well with my sarracenia and drosea, all happily in the bog.  I am not sure what yellow flag iris is.  These are actual iris and look somewht dutch or japanese.  There are two bundles so it is a dutch auction.  One is bid on.

Oh, and they are very hardy.

I think you just described Yellow Flag Iris which is is native to Europe and the British Isles, Western Asia, North Africa, and to the Mediterranean.  It definitely does have a Dutch iris look to it. If it is yellow flag iris, it escaped cultivation quite a while ago and has become a major thorn in the side of wetlands managers. Controlling its spread can be exhaustive.

Here's a few images-
http://vitabotagarden.iatp.by/plants/Iris-pseudacorus.jpg
http://www.floridanature.org/photos....323.jpg
http://www.funet.fi/pub....-1y.jpg
http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/images/Iris_pseudacorus.jpg

Here's the USDA plant profile for the plant-
http://www.plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin....ol=IRPS

It's listed as a prohibited invasive species in one state, noxious in a few others which means that more states will follow.  It has become a problem in Illinois however we are shamefully slow to get these plants on our hall of shame list.

It is hard to say. I bought the original one at Wally World for $7 something. There is a blue one to, but it did not do as well. It diffenatly could spread if not controlled, but I am not haveing any more spreading problem than I do with the standaed terrestrial iris.

Laura's right about this plant. The Nature Conservancy says that it's a potentially serious invasive plant and all parts of the plant are poisonous. Please insure that these plants don't get near any wet areas...

Here's some add'l info Nature Conservancy Info

WalMart corporate has been selling these from sea to shining sea. If you bought it at WallyWorld... I'm relatively sure you have Yellow Flag.  WallyWorld also sells burning bushes, Bradford Pears, Cleveland Select Pears, and English Ivy by the boatloads. They're a part of the problem not the solution in my humble opinion and the fact that they rarely use botanical names really frustrates me.  The only other iris WalMart seems to sell would be tall bearded and Dutch and those come in plastic baggies or boxes.  

Minimal sprawl in the area in which you planted yours isn't a great barometer.  I will swap your Yellow Flags for the native Blue Flag if the bidder is interested.

I will kill all my yellow flag iris in "your" name for $10. LOL!~ what a nasty but attractive plant!

These are in a controlled area in my bog. They do not have a chance of getting out because it is dry here (no natural water for miles).

aprilh is that a $10 bid to destroy them?
Mark do you still want any?

Naaa, she’s probably not bidding on yours and it sort of looks as if she is making a donation.  I think April may have one or two at her house that are evidently going to go to iris heaven real soon?  All of the ones that escaped and were growing in my wetlands met their maker about 5 years ago.  And the ones across the street were hit with an acetylene torch two years ago but all those neighbors had to do was just grab by the base and gently pull up and out.  Sometimes you have to use a little spade to help wiggle them out but not usually. I think they just like burning things. Burning doesn't work with them as it didn't get to the rhizomes but they got them last year.

I think the big problem with Iris pseudacorus is that its rhizomes wash out during heavy rains and flood events.  that is probably how they got over by me back somewhere around 1987 or maybe it was 1989 when we had what I think was being referred to as a 500 year flood.  There wasn't even a house here yet but when we moved in, I found it everywhere and it was in huge dense stands so it probably had a good ten years to get established where ever it came from.  After last year with the Des Plaines river blessing/cursing us with yet another 100 year flood (had one just a few years ago in 2000 I think), we’re finding it everywhere now and probably will for another few years. I think I’ve had just about enough of these 100 year floods. The other "wild card" issue is that it is a prolific seeder and birds spread it to yet other areas.

I'll bid $5 in April's name to destroy one of your lots since she bid $3 on my pearlwort.

I don't think It'll be a good idea to plant them where I'm going to be in NC, it's very wet there.

Now that I know that they are invasive I think I will destroy the lot. No bid needed.

I don't mind admitting this anymore but... I've planted more than my fair share of invasive plants that I had no idea were invasive.

I had a landscaper who told me that I needed to plant Burning Bushes here because they would really make a statement in my front yard.  They made a statement all right. In my front yard and in the neighbor's front yard and in the woods. I tore out all 12 about 4 years ago. You know what's interesting, when I asked why he sold them to me, he stated "they weren't against the law to sell yet".

*I also planted Russian Olives here- loved the shimmery leaves.
*Bradford and Cleveland Pears- I was told they'd grow fast, real fast and that they were sterile.
*Then there were the gorgeous White Mulberries I planted.
*Lemme see, the Lily of the Valley is special, real special.
*And I just loved that Snow All Summer until it showed up on the other side of my driveway the very next year.
*Mustn't forget the 100 plugs of English Ivy I bought from Wally World... I'm still battling those to this day and I swear they are trying to penetrate my foundation to come inside.
*I then wanted to plant wildflowers so I broadcast 20 (not one) packs of Dame's Rocket seed into the front of my yard. It was fun pulling up all of those before they went to seed once I found out what those really were. The seed packet said they naturalized well. Yup, they naturalized well all right.

Add all that I planted above to what was already here (Buckthorn, Japanese Honeysuckle, Porcelain Berry Vine, Yellow Flag Iris, Bittersweet Nightshade, Phragmitese, Purple Loosestrife, Crown Vetch, Queen Anne's Lace, Narrow Leaf Cattail, Reed Canary Grass, Japanese Knotweed, Moneywort, Creeping Charlie, Canada & Bull Thistle, Teasel, Reed Canary Grass, Periwinkle which is Vinca Minor and Major, Multiflora Rosa, and I'm sure I'm missing a few) and this place should have been dubbed "Invasive Acres".  Live and learn.

If somebody would have offered to donate money to the NASC to destroy my lot, the NASC would be very well off right now. Very well off!  

Rose, are you sure you want to say no bid is necessary?  Ten bucks is ten bucks. 0zzy knew what they were when he bid and I was relatively sure by your description that I knew what you had. April bid on my pearlwort photo. There's an auction out there to save 0zzy's skink and an auction on nothing. Personally, I think you should set some aside for next year's auction. I'm sure I'll be able to round up some Purple Loosestrife or lily of The Valley for next year. Maybe we could go in joint- your Yellow Flag combined with my Purple Loosestrife and Lily of The Valley. Now if we could just find somebody to toss in Kudzu or Salt Cedar we'd have it made.

Maybe we can auction off a video of me shooting all of those plants with my ak-47. I'm sure somebody will buy that.

Can my husband come and help?  He likes to shoot things up.

Yes, I am sure. Mulberries can be very invasive. They kept coming up wild on our fence line so we decided to make the best of a bad situtation. I now have a lovely mulberry (black) hedge and they must be happy because the stopped coming up. My neighbor has a lot behind my house and yard that he does not car for so we constantly battle invasives. That is were the mulberry came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back