For those of you who are not familiar with this project, here is a brief outline to get you up to speed.
NASC stands for the North American Sarracenia Conservancy. *This newly formed non-profit organization is in its infancy. *With the help of the CP community, we hope to achieve a Sarracenia "national collection" which will ensure that these beautiful plants will remain in their native environment and public/private collections so future generations may enjoy them as much as we do today.
Mission Statement (as it currently stands):
The mission of the North American Sarracenia Conservancy is to serve as a living record of the taxonomic, morphological and genetic diversity of the genus Sarracenia for purposes of conservation and cultivation.
1. To preserve genetic diversity by maintaining a living collection of the genus Sarracenia species and variants.
2. To safeguard genetic lineages of plants for possible future reintroduction into the wild, after plans for such reintroductions and subsequent monitoring are approved by a board of experts from a variety of NGOs, Federal/State Agencies, etc., as appropriate.
3. To further safeguard the maintained genetic diversity by facilitating widespread cultivation, by Sarracenia enthusiasts of all the maintained variants, thereby to better ensure variant survival.
4. To abate poaching by making rare and endangered varieties readily available.
5. To maintain up-to-date, accurate and relevant data to meet or exceed normal scientific standards for the maintenance of plant material.
6. To research Sarracenia variability and traits so as to understand the range of variability requiring conservation.
7. To raise public awareness of Sarracenia and habitat destruction so as to solicit their greater indolent in conservation of the genus and its habitats.
8. To record accurate, up-to-date data on current Sarracenia habitat conditions
9. To make all variants readily available to enthusiasts.
This auction is a benefit event to raise funds for the NASC operation. *We need to pay for legal fees (non-profit status) and numerous other operating expenses. *All proceeds go directly to the NASC treasury.
Many people ask "What can I do to help?" when it comes to conservation and preservation issues. *Well here is something simple you can do!
Please donate an item to the auction...and bid too! *You may get something really nice while contributing to a wonderful cause!
Check out the auction and have fun!
Thank you for your participation and support!