What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SLACK.jpg

What we have here -- and soon to be in your hot little hands -- is Carnivorous Plants by Adrian Slack. It is the predecessor of Insect-Eating Plants and How To Grow Them and a true classic of the field. It is a first American, oversize hardback edition -- 22 cm x 27 cm (8.5” x 10.75”) -- in great shape (along with its protective dust-wrapper), published by the MIT Press in 1980 -- and features a number of color and black and white photos and information of most every genera you’re likely to find in a swamp and elsewhere -- none of which seems outmoded almost thirty-one years later -- along with a host of the author’s own excellent botanical drawings in the course of its 240 pages.

Although, I must admit, Slack's repeated use of the English term “moss peat” is still troubling.

For those of you either too young to recall (or who have otherwise impaired yourselves through decades of “huffing” Ortho® products -- you know who you are), Adrian Slack was instrumental in popularizing the cultivation of these creepy plants, back in the bygone 1970s and early 1980s (when, for example, Apple co-founder, Steve Wosniak was tiny but many computers the size of Buicks); and he was the founder of the late-lamented Marston Exotics in Somerset, England, among the first large nurseries and mail-order businesses dedicated to the wider cultivation of carnivorous plants. A great number of cultivars and hybrids (particularly of Sarracenia -- see the NASC connection, here?) were either developed, named by Slack, or for him over the years; and, now, more than a few newer species carry his name, among them Drosera slackii from South Africa -- a very attractive, sticky little plant from the Cape Region.

Many a teetering Venus Flytrap and other nasty plants ultimately owed their lasting survival to Adrian Slack’s efforts and clear, spartan instructions; and I would count myself among those who have benefited from this excellent book, lo those many years ago -- slack-jawed punk that I am . . .

I will ship this book to the, oh, so generous, svelte, terribly good-looking 2010 NASC Auction winner on my dime -- even in the far-off, very alien land of Canada.

What could be more better, eh?

Opening bid is 10.00 and my e-mail contact is ddentonca@gmail.com . . .

$10

This is a reminder to complete this auction. If the payment was sent and item received, please post here so this can be closed.

Also if you have paid for this item and still waiting for it, or have shipped and have not heard that the item was received, please post that here so we will know who to contact to find out what needs to be done to close this auction.

I am still awaiting a shipping address . . .

sent you the addy, and I payed up. :D

This is a reminder to complete this auction. If the payment was sent and item received, please post here so this can be closed.

Also if you have paid for this item and still waiting for it, or have shipped and have not heard that the item was received, please post that here so we will know who to contact to find out what needs to be done to close this auction.

Item was shipped last week but I have not heard whether it has been received. Canadian destinations take a bit longer . . .

Also if you have paid for this item and still waiting for it, or have shipped and have not heard that the item was received, please post that here so we will know who to contact to find out what needs to be done to close this auction

Item was shipped over two weeks ago and it is assumed that the winner has received the item.

Auction Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back