What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragon fruit seedlings winner Ozzy $10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sig

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes
This auction is for one red fleshed dragon fruit cactus seedling and one white fleshed one (at least that's the parentage!) I sowed the seeds last July and most are around 1-2 inches long but some are 3-4. They've been squished together until now but in good conditions these will grow REALLY fast and eventually produce dragon fruit. Do the research, these are pretty tolerant plants but still have their finickyness.

2vxozo9.jpg

I'll pay shipping to the continental US, bidding starts at $1. If it reaches ten I'll double the plants!

Edit: If the winner wants, I'll replace the red fleshed seedling with a small cutting from a larger plant I know to be a self pollinating variety.

$3
Hey fellow Michigander...do you have mature plants and if so what do you do with them in winter? You don't happen to have a greenhouse do you? Can message you later if you'd like so thread stays on auction topic...

I have a larger plant about 2-3 feet tall. I kept it next to a window its first winter and it survived. It's a pretty hardy plant in terms or conserving energy when there aren't good conditions for growing... I got it at the beginning of winter and it grew about ten inches while indoors. I've been taking it outside during the day now that it's spring and bringing it inside at night. I plan on leaving it permanently outdoors during the summer. It can withstand a lot of rain as long as the soil is well draining. I really think this is a good part-time house/outdoor plant in all climates (I might not say that if it grows as big as commercial plants!)

Edit: answering questions!

@IronTom: I don't know, honestly. I grew these from seed from fruit I ate (from the best ones I had). These both are likely to be hybrids (Though a lot of farms just grow the same variety, so maybe not). You still have to pollinate the "self pollinating" varieties yourself from a different flower, it just means it can be from the same plant. If you have a few healthy plants, when they do flower it should close enough to the same time that you can dab at the pollen from one flower with a paint brush and save it for the others. These do bloom at night though, so it might be annoying. If the winner wants I'll replace a seedling with a small cutting from my older plant that I know to be self pollinating.

@IronTom again: As long as the plants are genetically separate they can cross pollinate, and since they're grown from seed that's not a problem. H. undatus (white fleshed) and H. polyrhizus (red fleshed) easily pollinate (Though the actual fruit that time will be from the mother plant).
http://toptropicals.com/html/toptropicals/articles/cacti/pitaya.htm

$5

Are these of the variety that will self-pollinate?

$6 Iron tom no these are night blooming cacti that do not self (i wish they did) at least from what I remember, this is such a good fruit

$7

There was a website listing the different varieties I gleaned some information from last year. It listed a few of the red fleshed cultivars as being able to self. "Purple Haze" is the one stuck in my memory, but I think there were one or two others. Seeing as these came from more commercialized sources, they're likely not able to self but one can always hope. On the other hand there are some cultivars that won't cross from different plants of the same cultivar....

Would crossing the white fleshed and red fleshed pollen work?

I like dragons.

$10

Auction has been paid.

This is a reminder to complete this auction. If the payment was sent and item received, please post here so this can be closed.

Also if you have paid for this item and still waiting for it, or have shipped and have not heard that the item was received, please post that here so we will know who to contact to find out what needs to be done to close this auction.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Has been shipped.

This is a reminder to complete this auction. If the payment was sent and item received, please post here so this can be closed.

Also if you have paid for this item and still waiting for it, or have shipped and have not heard that the item was received, please post that here so we will know who to contact to find out what needs to be done to close this auction.

I got 'em and thanks for the extra one.

Auction Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back