User Tag List

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: The NASC Auction Discussion/Request Thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    In one of the more 'controversial' threads, a poster stated that someone who makes a really high bid "takes the fun away". Actually, imho, this adds to the 'fun' of an auction. Yes - there's the usual $2, 3, 4 - slow increases with the occasional small jump in price and then the medium $5 dollar jumps - but don't you love it when someone comes in with a bid that hits like a big hammer?

Bella did one over here on Av's Heli thread (although Dashman hung in for a little bit on that one - I think the original hammer crushed his soul) and then Philcula swung his hammer on a series of Sarr seed offers (like this one), taking the bids from $5 to $25 in one fell swoop. Yowza! How can that not be part of the auction fun?

Let the good times roll - remember it's for a really good cause!
    I actually love it when that happens. And I love auctions for rare, amazing plants, going into the hundreds. I believe last year, a Sarracenia went up to 500 dollars or so.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i saw the auction bids that Philcula did on the seeds, i was seriously thinking "ARE YOU FOR REAL!?" because he did that on over four or five posts. that's around $125! welp, like you said Ron, it's all for a good cause. i guess Philcula's really into Sarrs, and perhaps discovering new cultivars and such.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    ... And I love auctions for rare, amazing plants, going into the hundreds. I believe last year, a Sarracenia went up to 500 dollars or so.
    I love it even more when one of those "rare, amazing plants" finds it's way to my place when the auction is over ....
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In one of the more 'controversial' threads, a poster stated that someone who makes a really high bid "takes the fun away". Actually, imho, this adds to the 'fun' of an auction. Yes - there's the usual $2, 3, 4 - slow increases with the occasional small jump in price and then the medium $5 dollar jumps - but don't you love it when someone comes in with a bid that hits like a big hammer?

Bella did one over here on Av's Heli thread (although Dashman hung in for a little bit on that one - I think the original hammer crushed his soul) and then Philcula swung his hammer on a series of Sarr seed offers (like this one), taking the bids from $5 to $25 in one fell swoop. Yowza! How can that not be part of the auction fun?

LOL. Yes, I have to say I was feeling on top of the world until Bella smacked me upside the head with a C NOTE. I sheepishly came back with 110 knowing all too well I could not break his resolve.

I wouldn't count me out though or Bella in for that matter, I wouldn't be surprised to see that beauty go for $150 or more.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    I actually love it when that happens. And I love auctions for rare, amazing plants, going into the hundreds. I believe last year, a Sarracenia went up to 500 dollars or so.
    would you be able to show me the link? i'd love to take a look at that myself!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post

I wouldn't count me out though or Bella in for that matter, I wouldn't be surprised to see that beauty go for $150 or more.
    I definitely wouldn't doubt it. I mean, just look at the thing! It's a Heli, AND red.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dashman View Post
    LOL. Yes, I have to say I was feeling on top of the world until Bella smacked me upside the head with a C NOTE. I sheepishly came back with 110 knowing all too well I could not break his resolve.
    On the flip side of that, I was feeling Jimmy would come right back & crush me with a bid over here after he jumped from $55 to $75 and I meekly hit $80 (but with some smack-talk thrown in). I guess the 'smack-talk' worked - eh??
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know atleast for me, when my auctions get higher I tend to go looking for the next item to post up. All those high rollers will run out of money sometime .

As for the wish list part...well we still don't have enough Ceph's up. I'd like to see more typical's with some variation between them.

A Brocchinia reducta would be nice to see.

Those VFT's with location data from last year that I lost the bid on.

Another batch of Jams and hot sauce!

Oh I could go on and on.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast