What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion/Requests Here - Bids ONLY in the Auction Threads

PLEASE do not post in the auction threads unless you are bidding for a plant.

This thread is for discussion purposes.

I noticed there is no particular start time for today. Let the games commence?

Last edited:
#highfive

They probably didn't give a time to be nice to me and do it whenever I got around to it :p But yep, everything should be open, please PM me if something seems wrong in the settings (not able to do something you should be able to etc).

Kicking off to a great start. Thread has only been open a few hours and already on page 2!

They probably didn't give a time to be nice to me and do it whenever I got around to it [emoji14] But yep, everything should be open, please PM me if something seems wrong in the settings (not able to do something you should be able to etc).
...and one page just from Mach! Props to our bro in Hawaii!

I enjoy the feeling of pulling together that I get from the whole auction thing. Those who donate, those who bid - great stuff for a common goal of preserving our rare and wonderful Sarracenia.

I'm kind of bummed there's no tie dye socks this year

Impending donations (to be posted this weekend):

Drosera:
admirabilis - Seedlings
prolifera - Flowering Plant
schizandra - Small Plant

Nepenthes:
alata "Pink" - MT Clone - Rooted Cutting
bongso - Seed Grown
maxima "Miniature Form" - Seed Grown
veitchii "Pink" - MT Clone - Large Unrooted Basal
ventricosa "Black Peristome" - Seed Grown

hamata x platychila - Rooted Basal

Pinguicula (all small plants):
esseriana
laueana
macrophylla
reticulata
rotundiflora

Utricularia:
livida
praelonga
pubescens

Hydnophytum:
formicarum - Small Seedlings

I will possibly have even more available for donation once I really go through everything.

Last edited:
Just out of curiousity, this is limited to those 18 and over correct? The reason I ask is that should a minor win and be not able to pay, it reverts back to the next highest bidder right? Well if said minor wasn't bidding the winning bid may not have been so high. Just a querstion a co-worker asked me. I figured it merited asking.

Thanks

All of these sarracenia listings are pretty great!

Just out of curiousity, this is limited to those 18 and over correct? The reason I ask is that should a minor win and be not able to pay, it reverts back to the next highest bidder right? Well if said minor wasn't bidding the winning bid may not have been so high. Just a querstion a co-worker asked me. I figured it merited asking.

Thanks

We have no way of verifying anyone's age. Therefore, we presume by participating you are old enough to enter into contracts and bid at auction.

Personally, I'm not sure how it has been done in the past for bidders that have reneged. I assume that it would be offered to the next highest bidder at his or her highest bid after it was confirmed that the winner bidder would not pay.

If you suspect someone is unable to pay and merely bidding up prices for the sake of bidding up prices, please report that person. We want this to be fair.

Dragoness, your S. minor pendant is fantastic. I bet you could sell quite a few of those in an Etsy shop or something if you wanted.

If you suspect someone is unable to pay and merely bidding up prices for the sake of bidding up prices, please report that person. We want this to be fair.

It's not that someone is just driving up the price. I think the concern is that a minor could be bidding to get the item without really understanding that they can't just back out or they come to find out their parents won't cover that large or an amount. There are no real ramifications for someone who backs out on an auction. If the bidding were between a forum member and a minor and the minor were to when raise a bid to $10 when the opening bid of $2 was made by the other. In order for the legal participant to won they would need to bid $11. Since the minor cannot legally join such an auction, any activity on that item should be nullified and the item should be auctioned for the highest LEGALLY unchallenged bid. Even if a third person were to bid $12 to become the highest bidder, in reality the auction is really only at $2 when that third person bids. Yes Natch, I have invested far too much time contemplating this issue. Just my two cents worth and won't even buy bubble gum anymore. LOL

It's not that someone is just driving up the price. I think the concern is that a minor could be bidding to get the item without really understanding that they can't just back out or they come to find out their parents won't cover that large or an amount. There are no real ramifications for someone who backs out on an auction. If the bidding were between a forum member and a minor and the minor were to when raise a bid to $10 when the opening bid of $2 was made by the other. In order for the legal participant to won they would need to bid $11. Since the minor cannot legally join such an auction, any activity on that item should be nullified and the item should be auctioned for the highest LEGALLY unchallenged bid. Even if a third person were to bid $12 to become the highest bidder, in reality the auction is really only at $2 when that third person bids. Yes Natch, I have invested far too much time contemplating this issue. Just my two cents worth and won't even buy bubble gum anymore. LOL

Just what every unpleasant situation one finds one's self in needs. Lawyers. No offense Natch!

Personally, I'm not sure how it has been done in the past for bidders that have reneged. I assume that it would be offered to the next highest bidder at his or her highest bid after it was confirmed that the winner bidder would not pay.
This is also my recollection of what's been done. The issue isn't just about minors nor about bidding. It's about people honoring their commitments. There have been failures on both sides - people not delivering the item(s) they listed & not paying for item(s) they won. You can probably dig up past details if you wish but NASC & site owner deal with issues as they arise - it's not frequent & not a huge deal. (imho)

A few years back I had an invalid bid from the highest bidder that reverted to the next highest that defaulted, that reverted to the next highest that defaulted and so on until the original first bidder got the item for $5 :)

Kinda funny and annoying at the same time.

Back