What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Discussion/Requests Here - Bids ONLY in the Auction Threads

i wasnt meaning to create a big issue, it was asked of me by a co-worker and I just focused on it all day and it snowballed. No worries, I will not bring it back up. Thanks for everyones imput on the matter.

Last edited:
A few years back I had an invalid bid from the highest bidder that reverted to the next highest that defaulted, that reverted to the next highest that defaulted and so on until the original first bidder got the item for $5 :)

Kinda funny and annoying at the same time.

I suspect the funny to annoying ratio has improved with time!

Auction tips

All good things come to an end and April 19 will be here sooner than you think.

A few tips -

Terraforums is not a dedicated auction site so it may not be able to handle the traffic caused by last minute/second bidding. Although Andrew has taken steps to beef up the server and bandwidth the increased traffic has caused problems in the past - server/database hang ups, even bringing the server down. So I would suggest that you get your final bids in well before the closing time. And the imposed delay between posts can also be an annoyance if you try to "snipe" several items in quick succession.

Subscribe or create short cuts to the threads of items you wish to monitor closely. You can set preferences to notify you, by email if you wish, whenever a thread gets a reply. This is especially useful after the auction to track the status of items you may have donated. See the "Thread Tools" drop down menu at the top of the threads.

Look at the last pages of the auction. Many times items posted early in the auction get "forgotten". They need some additional love too.

Have fun and thanks to all who are participating.

Last edited:
Per request of bidder, I've added (admittedly bad) photos to my "Mature Drosophyllum - Local Pick up Only" Auction.

Last edited:
Edit: This was moved from the auction forum. I've asked below that this whole discussion be deleted at this point, since half is now blank. Probably this doesn't make sense out of context. It was in response to a post suggesting that botanical gardens didn't really care if people remove material such as seeds, or even took cuttings. Although the post was out of place, it seemed that it needed a response.

I think this is the wrong place for this discussion, and hopefully one of the administrators can relocate it. The policy of the SFBG is that plant material should not be removed. I got these at least 100 ft outside the gates and perhaps it's still technically on their grounds? I don't know. Regardless, taking cuttings there is definitely not OK. It's considered vandalism. Removing fruits and seeds that are attached to the plant still, particularly if it alters the appearance of the plant, is the same as taking cuttings in my opinion. Fallen fruit and seeds is still not technically OK, inside the garden. The one time I've done this where I'm very public about it is for the variegated form of Passiflora membranacea, a pretty rare plant, which was dropping fruits on the ground. I let the SFBG know that I had taken a couple fruits, and in this case I was told that they had no interest in that variety of the species (mainly because it was slow to bloom). I think the important thing is when trading, selling or giving away plants and seeds is to be very honest about where they come from, where possible. They main exception would be a private individual who wants to maintain anonymity. If it's from a nursery or a botanical garden (even if questionable) it's important to let people know the source.

My personal policy is to not profit from plants taken from a questionable source. I make a partial exception for the variegated Passiflora membranacea, which I sell as plants (and give away as seeds) because I have let them know that I took the fallen fruit.

Last edited:
I'm hoping one of the administrators can move a discussion out of a thread I started, or delete it if it's not possible to move it. The thread: "3 Furcraea parmentieri bulbils"

Done. Quickest way is to use the "Report Post" button (triangle with exclamation mark) on the bottom left of a post.

Thanks. Probably best to delete it completely at this point, as the post I was responding to is now blank. The other option is to have a bunch of empty posts...

I'm just going to add that it also depends on the botanical garden that you're at when it comes to fallen fruit / seeds, down here we have a Fruit and spice garden where anything that's on the ground is fair game :) - at least, according to the head gardener and manager

The forum software moves posts and inserts them in chronological order. It made sense when one got to your post requesting the move of non-bid posts which is why I didn't see the need to add a link. Now with blank post it makes little sense. If people would follow the rules and not post non-bid messages in the auction threads in the first place we wouldn't have this mess. I'll leave it as is as a reminder to all involved (me included).

Reminders:

Discussion/Requests Here - Bids ONLY in the Auction Threads

**No bids (posts) can be edited and changed once posted; contact a moderator if you need to make a change on your listing. You may bid as often as you wish. No bids will be valid past stated auction ending time.

With less than 2 days left what are people out there looking for that has not already be posted up? Can not promise anything but you never know :)

Epiphytic utrics/utrics in general, genlisea, or SA dews would be great, but most of those really aren't seen much in the first place. :p

And I just realized... I edited my auction posts right after I made them to add my contact info but didn't contact a mod... are there any issues I need to clear up?

Last edited:
I agree with some epiphytic utricularia

I'd like to see D. regia, usually one shows up, but I've not seen one this year.

Back