What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Begonias: B. brevirimosa, B. luxurians, B. bogneri, B. herbacea, ... - RSS $20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up for auction is a set of 5 Begonias: B. brevirimosa, B. luxurians, B. bogneri, B. herbacea and B. sizemoreae. Most are small and suitable for growing in terrariums; B. bogneri and B. herbacea are epiphytes. The huge exception is Begonia luxurians, which I grow outside, and which gets over 10 feet tall.

Most will be sent potted, with exceptions below. Opening bid is $2. Shipping is an additional $11.55. U.S. only. The winner should PM me for Paypal information for the shipping.

Here are the histories of all of these, all currently in 2 3/4 or 3 inch pots:

1) B. brevirimosa: a stem cutting off a larger plant. I had this rooting in water until a couple days ago. It put out strong roots and a new shoot, so I potted it up, and I'm currently keeping it in an enclosed environment. The colors of the immature leaves do not reflect the intense colors of a mature plant.

2) B. luxurians: I cut back my big (12 foot plant) as it was growing into the trees. This is one of the rooted cuttings. I think the bulk of the cutting is dead, but importantly, it looks like the new growth wants to put out several shoots. This could result in a really nice plant, quickly. I buried all of this, but dug it up for a photo--see below.

3) B. bogneri. Grown from a leaf cutting, this plant is close to blooming size. I dropped it a couple months ago... Two leaves broke off, which I left in the pot. If you look in the enlarged picture below (red arrows) you can see there are two small plants starting to grow. There are actually 3 B. bogneri plants. I will likely ship the two small ones out of the pot, separately.

4) B. herbacea. This is a plantlet from a leaf cutting. The original plant was a gift from Fatbunny (thanks, My). I just removed the plantlet from the leaf cutting and potted up a couple days ago. It did have roots... I may send this one out of its pot, as it might be easier on the plant that way.

5) Begonia sizemoreae. A really cool, hairy Begonia. Closely related to Begonia rex, yet seems to escape the problems with mildew I've had with rex hybrids. This is a seedling, seeds from the ABS seed fund. It has been growing outside over winter. The leaves do not reflect the coloration or hairiness of an adult plant.

Here are the zoomed in views:

Begonia luxurians, showing multiple growth points:

Begonia bogneri, showing new plantlets from 2 leaves that broke off (red arrows):

$10

Payment received by NASC. Thank you!! :)

Plants received in great shape, thanks for the extras!

Auction closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back