What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brugmansia "Suncrest Vulsa" Unrooted Cuttings, Cool Grower. (JBL $15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The auction is for the unrooted cuttings pictured below of the plant we've called the "Suncrest Vulsa". "Vulsa" indicates both VULcanicola and SAnguinea parentage. The origins of this plant are a long story--it came from Suncrest (wholesaler), bought at a nursery in SF. It was labeled as B. sanguinea 'Inca Princess' an all yellow form. Possislby it is a seedling produced by that plant and the one known as the "Strybing vulsa" (this is the plant grown for many years in the U.S. as Brugmansia vulcanicola, now known to be a hybrid). All the "experts" agree the plant is part B. vulcanicola.

Opening bid is $2. Shipping is an additional $11.55. U.S. only. The winner should PM me for Paypal information for the shipping.

There are two very important things to know about this plant:

1) It's a hard core cool-grower. Both Brugmansia sanguinea and Brugmansia vulcanicola are from near 3000 m (about 10,000 ft) near the equator. This limits it to Coastal California, an air-conditioned greenhouse, etc. Grow it like an ultra-highland Nepenthes, basically. My plant wilts whenever temps get over 70, by the way... it blooms in the cooler months here.

2) Cuttings can be difficult to root. They are much more difficult than typical warm growing Brugmansias, and can take much longer, with a high failure rate. i root in 2:1 perlite:peat, in a contained environment except for thick, (nearly) leafless cuttings.

The "cold group" or Sphaerocarpium Brugmansias (B. sanguinea, B. vulcanicola, B. arborea) are from higher elevations than the warmer growing plants that are more commonly grown. They only can be hybridized within their group, last I heard.

Here are the cuttings up for auction, with a coke can for scale. Basically, it's the four upright shoots, as well as the horizontal, somewhat harder stem as well. The sections within the red box. I may have to chop even the upright shoots to fit in a box, depending on how I ship. They will be at least somewhat larger than this by the time I ship, of course, perhaps a lot bigger...

Here are photos of flowers. Its a really nice one!

At night:

$15

Payment received by NASC. Thank you!! :)

Received in perfect condition! Ok to close, thanks!

Auction closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back