User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NASC Auction Rules??

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not exactly Fred. You can't leave out the second part... I'll agree that the first part and the second part can be interpreted to not mean the exact same thing, but I think this will explain why it is the way it has been.

Saturday April 2nd, through Saturday, April 16, 2016 closing at 7 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (10:00 p.m. EST).
    I try to close the forum AT 10 on the dot... But:
    The actual opening and closing of the Auction forum will be as close as possible to the actual times, but may not be exact, as it is done manually. However, VALID listings and bids will go by the post time stamp (i.e., a bid that is entered past 7 p.m. PST on April 16 will NOT be valid even if the Auction Forum is still open for posting.)
    And so any bids that do manage to squeak in between me closing the forum and 10:00:59 are still valid. And yes, I was a bit late turning it off this year. Perhaps the goal in future auctions would be to remove the human part (me shutting the forum down) and just leave it to a deadline time on the bidding... It's good to discuss this so the NASC can update their rules to something that can't be interpreted different ways, but no matter what I don't think it's changing the way that it is interpreted this year (like has been said, which is the way it has been for all these years).

I think there is too much emphasis on being what can be done this year, rather than looking to improve future auctions, the rule will be changed for next year.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh next year!!! I haven't received this year's stuff yet but am already looking forward to next year's This was fun. Until about a couple of days prior to the end of this auction I never tried to snipe bid before. An exhilarating experience!
    Last edited by gill_za; 04-19-2016 at 04:41 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think this was the first year I had even changed forum settings to allow it. Normally there is a 30 second delay between posts this year I removed it. But don't count on it being removed next year, it may or it may not! It's never a good idea to COUNT on the ability to snipe. ;-)
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be wrong but it looks like even with sniping the items reached similar (if not higher) prices when compared with previous years. I browsed the threads to see what to expect and it helped me settle on how high I was willing to bid My hands were shaking at the end hehe. My wife was giving me concerned looks throughout the evening! Ah the adrenaline!!!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    hahaha I've been there, for sure! Well, it's more of a worry about a drain on the server.. but lately I've been paying for server upgrades for the auction to prevent issues. This year I added 5 extra CPU cores and 8GB extra ram. Seemed to keep up without any problems from what I saw
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep! I saw no lag at all. And I had a couple of devices with me constantly refreshing pages, sorry . Also kicked everyone and everything non-essential to bidding off from the network so that there would be no interference.

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just glad you didn't snipe me. I too kept refreshing until 10:01 and there were quite a few "snipers".

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by adnedarn View Post
    Not exactly Fred. You can't leave out the second part... I'll agree that the first part and the second part can be interpreted to not mean the exact same thing, but I think this will explain why it is the way it has been.

I try to close the forum AT 10 on the dot... But:

And so any bids that do manage to squeak in between me closing the forum and 10:00:59 are still valid. And yes, I was a bit late turning it off this year. Perhaps the goal in future auctions would be to remove the human part (me shutting the forum down) and just leave it to a deadline time on the bidding... It's good to discuss this so the NASC can update their rules to something that can't be interpreted different ways, but no matter what I don't think it's changing the way that it is interpreted this year (like has been said, which is the way it has been for all these years).

I think there is too much emphasis on being what can be done this year, rather than looking to improve future auctions, the rule will be changed for next year.
    Why are they still valid? They are after the auction closure. All bids have a timestamp.
    Have you ever tried walking through a door at 7.00 when it closed at 7.00?
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast