User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: NASC Auction Rules??

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Again. The first part of listing period says "closing at 7" then in the second part is says "However" That word is used to modify something... So because that word is there (even if it were by accident) it is modifying whatever had been said prior. So this part "However, VALID listings and bids will go by the post time stamp (i.e., a bid that is entered past 7 p.m. PST on April 16 will NOT be valid even if the Auction Forum is still open for posting.)" is now saying that "a bid that is entered past 7 p.m. PST on April 16 will NOT be valid" so as I said earlier... What is PAST 7 p.m.?? 7:01 p.m. That is why *I* have always believed the bids were accepted through 7:00 and invalid at 7:01.
    But AGAIN I agree the first part and the second part should not seem to say two different things to different people, and that is why the rule will be modified for next year (the NASC have told me this). But at this point, the horse is dead...
    *Drops microphone and walks off stage* lol

PS Yes, I have walked through a door at 7:00 when a place closed at 7:00... even quite a few minutes later.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The door Andrew not the place.

Ny final word on this.

When is 7.00 not 7.00?

When it's 7.01
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted this in General Discussion but thought since it's being discussed here, I should also post it here.

We would like to take the opportunity to thank everyone who participated in our auction this year. Not only through your generous donations, but your active bidding as well. We normally give the majority of the auction total to other organizations like The Nature Conservancy who are better equipped than we are at maintaining wild populations of CPs. This year is no different. We are paying to install a gate at a TNC property to stop poaching with the proceeds of this years auction.

I would like to take this time to address a concern that was sent to us regarding the timing of when auctions end. There was a difference of opinion concerning the interpretation of when the auction ended. They believed the auction should have ended at 9:59:59. We handled this years end of auction time as we have for many years. Here’s our interpretation of the rule. We Interpret the rule to mean that all auctions with the time stamp of 10:00 are legal bids. Each minute is 60 seconds long. So NASC Interprets 10:00:59 still to be 10 pm as the time stamp does not reflect seconds. 9:59:59 is not 10pm. Here’s an excerpt from the rules concerning the listing period.

LISTING PERIOD: Saturday April 2nd, through Saturday, April 16, 2016 closing at 7 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (10:00 p.m. EST). The actual opening and closing of the Auction forum will be as close as possible to the actual times, but may not be exact, as it is done manually. However, VALID listings and bids will go by the post time stamp (i.e., a bid that is entered past 7 p.m. PST on April 16 will NOT be valid even if the Auction Forum is still open for posting.)

This has been the rule for years and until now has served us very well as written. I can assure you that this rule will be further clarified for any future auctions. NASC is a volunteer organization. Every board member volunteers their time to run NASC. None of us are ever paid for our service. We do this because of the passion we have for the plants that we all love. None of us are lawyers, so when we write the rules they may not be perfect, but we believe they can easily be understood, with our intent clear. We were accused of Interpreting the rules in such manner that we maximize our profit. I can assure you that this and all rules are applied equally to all people and auctions with the intent to achieve fairness, not profit.

NASC is open to all members. We encourage members or even nonmembers to our weekly board meetings held via skype. We are what we have always been, a group of people who loves CPs that is doing what we can to save them.

There were disparaging remarks made toward myself and NASC. I made every effort to resolve this issue in a professional manner and will continue to do so.

The individual who lost the auction in question also had items up for bid. We thank her for her donation, however she has chosen to withdraw her donation and not honor the bids made. So if you won one of her auctions contact me for a refund. A very sincere thank you to the two winners that decided to not ask for a refund and insisted we consider it a donation. I want to thank all of our supporters who again made our auction a success. Without you we couldn't save the plants we love.

Mark Todd
    NASC President
    Last edited by Ozzy; 04-20-2016 at 07:12 PM.

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3b430mom View Post
    I have now seen many auctions claiming the winner to be the person who made their bid AT 10pm and not before. There is even one where the admins claimed a winner who bid at 10:01. /
    Show me the auction in question.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are two items that had bids at 7:01pm Pacific (10:01pm Eastern

*PAID* Cephalotus leaf pulls - NOT ACTUAL PLANTS (gil_za $43)
    *PAID* 5 Sedum Reflexum Plants (aerogrower $10)

As a recall with the second item I listed Racoon CIty as the winner but when I double checked names, times and amounts I caught my error and immediately corrected this. She may have seen the post just before I made the correct. So what? It was corrected within a minute or two if not in seconds. If she just refreshed her browser after the correction was made.

So what? I'm human (though some of my acquaintances may disagree). I make mistakes. Andrew can check this from the forum activity log. In the past the Auction forum would be closed except for moderators so we can triple check each other before announcing the winners. This also keeps someone from jumping the gun and paying before the error can be corrected.

The Auction Forum wasn't closed temporarily to the public this year. I figured Andrew may have forgotten or had better things to do like spend time with his family. He's human too. I could probably find better things to do at prime time on a Saturday night then to volunteer my time for a charity auction. I'm not getting paid for this unless you want to consider my complimentary "Thank You" membership pay (at a whopping $15 per year - a raise from $12 per annum ). NASC doesn't pay me either. I do it because I believe in NASC's mission. I do it because I want to help conserve/preserve these plants. I do it because these auctions are usually a lot of fun. I do it because I find the displays of charity and love for the CP shown by the donors and bidders heart-warming.

This just a charity auction run by volunteers, not professional fund raisers. There are also such things as "house rules". People should look beyond the "trees" (flaws/rules) to see the "forest" (the spirit of charity for the CPs).
    Last edited by Not a Number; 04-21-2016 at 08:53 AM.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well said NON. I also think failing to live up to your obligations, is far more troubling than arguing over seconds at an auction close. Way to turn something fun into another reason people don't volunteer there time more often. We all should remember what the auction is all about, raising money for the plants we all care about. Thanks for all you moderators do for the NASC.

An orchid fancier with a CP problem chibae's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a damn shame when someone forgets what a charity auction is for. I applaud those "winners" who made a donation despite the member's actions. Although I won none of the items I had bid on, I sent a donation in to NASC this week as well.
    I agree that looking forward is the way. I'm sure that next year's rules will be made clearer to prevent a repeat misunderstanding.
    It's a tough life being a Sarracenia farmer
    My Grow List http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123776

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    There are two items that had bids at 7:01pm Pacific (10:01pm Eastern

*PAID* Cephalotus leaf pulls - NOT ACTUAL PLANTS (gil_za $43)
    *PAID* 5 Sedum Reflexum Plants (aerogrower $10)

As a recall with the second item I listed Racoon CIty as the winner but when I double checked names, times and amounts I caught my error and immediately corrected this. She may have seen the post just before I made the correct. So what? It was corrected within a minute or two if not in seconds. If she just refreshed her browser after the correction was made.

So what? I'm human (though some of my acquaintances may disagree). I make mistakes. Andrew can check this from the forum activity log. In the past the Auction forum would be closed except for moderators so we can triple check each other before announcing the winners. This also keeps someone from jumping the gun and paying before the error can be corrected.

The Auction Forum wasn't closed temporarily to the public this year. I figured Andrew may have forgotten or had better things to do like spend time with his family. He's human too. I could probably find better things to do at prime time on a Saturday night then to volunteer my time for a charity auction. I'm not getting paid for this unless you want to consider my complimentary "Thank You" membership pay (at a whopping $15 per year - a raise from $12 per annum ). NASC doesn't pay me either. I do it because I believe in NASC's mission. I do it because I want to help conserve/preserve these plants. I do it because these auctions are usually a lot of fun. I do it because I find the displays of charity and love for the CP shown by the donors and bidders heart-warming.

This just a charity auction run by volunteers, not professional fund raisers. There are also such things as "house rules". People should look beyond the "trees" (flaws/rules) to see the "forest" (the spirit of charity for the CPs).

Mistakes I can understand. Blatant lies, I cannot.

The fact that half the NASC has flocked to this thread to publicly bash me speaks volumes about their character. They even pulled this thread from the General Discussions area of TF, moved it to the NASC Auction area and made it a sticky thread to ensure they would have an audience.

I initially wrote them for clarification of the rules, but you guys choose to respond very rudely and claim I wanted the rules bent for me to win.

In fact, I actually told them in private that I was no longer interested in winning the auction because of their attitudes (since that would involve giving money to the NASC). Even after that, they claimed I wanted the rules bent for me.

Even after all of that, you guys privately threatened me in ways that you have zero power (claimed they would have me banned from TerraForums privately).

It is that type of attitude directed towards someone that was just trying to help out and donate that made me realize that you're not worthy of donations. It's 100% the result of your condescending attitudes that I refuse to support it no matter what you threaten me with or how much you try to defame me in public.

You say this about the auction that was initially declared the winner with a 10:01 bid... "It was corrected within a minute or two if not in seconds. If she just refreshed her browser after the correction was made."

That is a blatant lie and yet another attempt to try to shame me in public, not to mention extremely condescending considering you try to play it off as my fault (I'm a professional internet marketer and think I know how to refresh a website, thanks). It was a minimum of 35 minutes and likely closer to an hour before the winner of that was changed.

Want proof that they lied? Take a look at this from the person that placed that 10:01 bid.. they acknowledged at 10:34 that they were still declared the winner.

Here's a little secret about soliciting donations... don't be rude to those that are doing the donating. I have no problem looking beyond the "trees" to see the "forest", as you put it, but just because it is in the spirit of CPs doesn't mean I have to put my morals aside and allow people to treat me the way you guys have.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast