What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Church learns Vet was gay, cancels memorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20221295/?GT1=10252

ARLINGTON, Texas - A megachurch canceled a memorial service for a Navy veteran 24 hours before it was to start because the deceased was gay.

Officials at the nondenominational High Point Church knew that Cecil Howard Sinclair was gay when they offered to host his service, said his sister, Kathleen Wright. But after his obituary listed his life partner as one of his survivors, she said, it was called off.

“It’s a slap in the face. It’s like, ’Oh, we’re sorry he died, but he’s gay so we can’t help you,”’ she said Friday.

wow.

yeah so forget the fact that the man fought for the lives of the people in this country. while we're in our beds at night, men like him were out fighting just to make sure we sleep safely and wake up to a less chaotic morning....let's all disregard that - hiss sexual orientation is not accepted in our society. oh and god doesn't let "the gays" go to heaven.

sick.

The only thing that surprises me is that people would be surprised by this.

Jesus never mentioned homosexuality, and being straight is not a requirement to go to Heaven. If it was that damn important he would have mentioned it, is my opinion. It doesn't say "God sent his only son to save the world, but only the straight people!"

OMG when his best friend was a hooker, I don't think he'd give a rat's behind about who I spend my life with. Unfortunately, a lot of people want to bend our lifestyle to their will and would much rather us be alone then love and be loved. Guess they love us SO much, they want to oppress us "for our own good."

Just my two cents on that can of worms.

Unfortunately, when a lot of people think of homosexuals, they think of Queer as Folk. They think of drug crazed sex and decadent hedonism. Not that these things are bad (to me) but they aren't getting the full spectrum of homosexuality. They don't think about the parents adopting kids and going to PTA meetings, and participating in the neighborhood watch program, or the immense GLBT culture of film, art, and literature. They don't think of the THOUSANDS of people discharged from the military for being gay. They think of poppers and meth, orgies and AIDS and it's just sad.

Poppers and meth, orgies and AIDS would make a really good name for a documentary. Someone call Michael Moore!

Last edited by a moderator:
wooo, go texas >.>

here in oregon, i'd be willing to bet they would have given him full honors. But thats how things are.. some places lag behind in valuing the right s and memories of people... texas is notorious for such thnigs. (no offense to any CP growers in texas)

Most of the things I'd like to say in response to this would get me banned, so I'll just say that the church in question is run by bigots who deserve a variety of unpleasant things.

I thought them cheesy megachurches would do anything for a buck?!?!?

This is an affront to religious capitalism!!!!

How dare they deny their profit/prophet???

Okay, enough of that. Not surprising, JLAP, sad but true. Glad this kind of thing is more concentrated far away from where I live is all I gots ta say.

If it came out Dubya was gay, would THAT get him impeached?? It happened to Clinton and he was STRAIGHT, so I would think that would be the way it would shake down

I heard about this and it's disgusting! :rant: :nono:

Most of the things I'd like to say in response to this would get me banned,

I second that...

i'll just say thats a load of crap. :censor:

Jlap, the word fornication covers all sexual sins that were condemned in the old testament. Seeing how Jesus used that word in the new testament shows He still stands by the same definition(that fornication covers all sexual sins with the exception of adultery as it is noted itself as a distinct sexual sin) and condemnation of homosexuality. Also, it is the same Spirit of God speaking through the apostle Paul condemning same sex in the book of Romans. I hope you can see this aspect of the "Spirit of God" speaking throughout the Bible.

By the way, Christians are not to condemn sinners they are to preach the word of God. Now, since the word of God condemns those acts(fornication,etc.), a Christian cannot win(win, as in being seen as not judgmental) anyway unless the person hearing the word of God believes Jesus can save them from those sins. You see first the person must understand what sin is(realize they are lost and need Him), then you can preach the saviour Jesus Christ. That is the Good news (Gospel) that we can be saved from eternal damnation in true repentance through Jesus sacrifice. If they reject His salvation, it is because they love their sin more than God. Election is unmerited, God has chosen who will be saved and only they have ears to hear.

Of course I can see this aspect. I can say "God tells me this and that and blahblahblah" but that's not literal, now is it? There are few things in the Bible I take literally. If the Christian left is against fornication, why the hell aren't they trying to ban premarital sex and adultery? Well? Where is the "sanctity of marriage" when the divorce rate is what, 50%?

Excuse me, but my understanding is that you receive salvation through faith and belief in Christ as your personal savior. I do, and..... what's your problem with that again? Are you saying "Oh, sorry! You also have to be STRAIGHT and only have sex when your married if you want salvation!" Last time I checked, we all deserved to go to hell but Jesus saves us from that. Am I mistaken? Last time I checked, he didn't only save straight people. Maybe my faith in Christ is a delusion, zappa, and I just THINK I'm saved through the blood of Christ, but not REALLY since I'm gay. Is that what you're saying? If not, why bring up the "rejecting his salvation" and "It's because they love their sin more than God" stuff? How's that relevant to the conversation, Zappa?

The word of God condemns a LOT of things. The word of God says it's OK to have slaves, stone your children to death, but not wear polyblends, plant two crops in the same plot, and eat shellfish. I suppose we try and ban these things, too? I sincerely hope you vote Yes on prop. 14 next year when it's time to legalize the stoning of disobedient children. I'm sure we can all count on your vote, since it's the Word of God.

The difference between the conservative Christians and myself is I'm living in the REAL WORLD and they're living two thousand years ago. I'm so embarrassed of what they do, that I'm hesitant to even call myself a Christian, so I normally say "Christ-Follower" instead.

You are making my point for me Jlap. I am not at all angry or upset with you, but when the truth is told it can cause anger or repentance or even indiffernce. Now I explained previously that God has made a new covenant with Gentiles than what He had with the Jew(this is known as our new testament). That would explain why no one is stoning anyone but merely ruffling feathers verbally by preaching what sin is and the remedy of Jesus (good news=the Gospel) from that sin and it's consequences on an eternal soul. This is relevant because it is coming straight from the Bible and why cherry pick the Bible as to what is true or not. Example, how can a person really believe in Jesus and not walk as He walked on this earth? Let me clarify this last question by saying we all sin , however a changed heart should grow away from sin. In other words salvation is accompanied by change and it can be a struggle to overcome sin, but it will be your new desire to overcome sin and walk as Jesus walked if you have a new heart and are saved.

You'd be very surprised at how much I've changed since I finally broke down and asked for forgiveness. I've been surprised; it's very surreal and I catch myself doing things I wouldn't ordinarily do, or not doing things I would ordinarily do. Just last night I read the bible even though I said I'd never do it again. I was hesitant but I did it anyway.

The PROBLEM is that the debate on what's sin, what's not, and how to interpret the answers. Neither side is ever going to win that debate, so I don't comprehend why we can't live and let live. I don't comprehend how someone could vote to limit another person's freedom and happiness. My opinion is that if you don't like gay marriage, don't get one, but don't vote to prevent another person from being free. I'd never, ever in my wildest dreams vote to prevent you from doing whatever it is that you like, talking about God for example, or... listening to Frank Zappa. Another thing I don't understand is why the government regulates marriage. I can understand regulating civil unions (AKA separate but equal marriages, and we all know what happened with the separate but equal idea!) but not religious unions. Ahh, same reason God is on our currency and in the pledge (not that it was originally there), I guess.

You never answered my question. Why do the religious right try and ban gay marriage, but not premarital sex, adultery, etc.? Please answer me why Gay marriage is more important that the other "fornications" and only it should be protested and tried to be made illegal? If there was a new covenant with the Gentiles, then does that mean only Jews can stone their kids to death and have slaves? Come on now... why would God say that in the first place? It's my opinion that the Bible was inspired my God, not written by him. I believe like.. 90% of the Bible isn't to be taken literally. If you or anyone else believes it word for word literally, fine with me, but why try and limit the actions of others? I don't get it.

Okay number one I totally agree with you about freedom of speevh and non cencorship. I however do not feel it is a hate crime to say God hates this sin or that sin when witnessing Jesus to someone. He commands us all to repent and speak the truth. That being said I will now try to move on tou your question, and let me say that I was not puposely avoiding answering your question. I can tell you I believe none of those should be banned but only Christ can change the hearts of the people who do those things. Those hypocrites see laws as the means to those ends and overlook that no law will change a heart. Now I do not believe all who believe in banning homosexual marriage are hypocrites. I think they are afraid for theeir children coming up in a world apart from Christian beliefs in that a man and a woman were created for each other. I can see that, it is in the Bible. Also, I am sure there are many Christians who wish it was all banned so people will not be as easily influenced to head down a wrong path. sorry my typing is slow.

The reason I do not feel that it should be banned and maybe Iam very wrong is that, if people live how they want eventually the sin may become so great in their lives that they will be humbled to accept Jesus as their redeemer and saviour, to walk like Him.

I don't think that's a hate crime either. Not at all! To me, hate and hate CRIME are two different things. To me, anything that is negative against homosexuality is homophobia. Anything negative against women is sexism. Anything negative against race is racism. We are talking words, not beatings.

You said you don't believe homosexual marriage should be banned. That's good enough for me. I must apologize, that I had assumed you would support a ban, and that was wrong of me since I don't know you. I'm very sorry.

Well now that you've said that, I don't have a problem. Believe it's sinful or whatever you want but as long as you don't support a ban, I'm more than happy. I still consider your views hateful, but there's no reason for me to argue with you anymore. I don't know if you support gay marriage, but if you don't oppose it I guess that's good enough for me to look at you in a different light. Once again, I'm sorry for my assumptions, and I'm humbled.

I believe like.. 90% of the Bible isn't to be taken literally.
Flood? Never happened.
Mass exodus of Jews from Egypt? Never happened.
Young earth? Lolololol x 10^100000000000

I could do this for days. But anyway, Clint, thanks for being rationalesque.

Like I said, I live in the real world lmao.

Jlap, let me say in the interest of truth, those are not my views, that is why I said God condemns those things, because He says be ye holy for I am holy. It is actually love that compels someone(as Jesus or true Christians do) to warn someone so they won;t get hurt(speaking of eternal torment). That is why I said Christians can't even come off as non judgmental when quoting the Bible because God is judgmental in making the statements which are used in witnessing to someone's sins showing the need for Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back