What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow! My VFT are thriving like crazy!

joossa

Aklys
My 2 VFT's are growing so quickly. They are in a terrarium. Over the last week i have seen many many new leaves and traps forming fairly quickly. The leaves are very long and a very bright deep green.

How old does a VFT usually have to be to grow leaves that grow upward? Mine are basically on the ground and on top of each other.

Also, have any of your VFT's flowered yet? Mine havent and I'm wondering if it is time yet....

Some VFT's just grow upward like that. I have 2 VFT's that fire all the traps up into the air and 3 others that like to lay the traps along the ground.

well for the first question...they produce the tall leaves in summer. second question...maby its just not old enough yet....
alex

Age is immaterial. MOST VFT's will have a lay on the ground rosette during the late fall and through the winter. If they are to stand, they do that in mid spring and throughout there season. Yours sound like they are not getting enough light for them to show you what they can really do.

Dang! There's that echo again
smile_n_32.gif
. Gotta fix that wunna these days.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 25 2006,9:47)]Age is immaterial. MOST VFT's will have a lay on the ground rosette during the late fall and through the winter. If they are to stand, they do that in mid spring and throughout there season. Yours sound like they are not getting enough light for them to show you what they can really do.
Could it be that I have two different cultivars? All my VFT's stay outside in the same 4 foot area but 2 of them shoot traps way up in the air. While the others sit them all on the ground and stack new traps on top of the old ones.

OOO! You may have gotten the brunt of my Big Mouth seed! However, growing habits ARE up to the plant. If they would rather lay flat, that is what they will do. Some stand up and push traps skyward. Whatever they want to do, whatever fits their occasion, is what they respond to. CCFC jist got dem layzee plahnts!!!!! Ready for more, Rail???? Joosa, try growing them outdoors if you can. They enjoy it, and catch their own food. You can still hand feed them too if ya want.

When I began taking this hobby seriously, 3 years ago, it started with VFT's. I had them in a large,plastic pretzel container, on a SE window sill. They grew well and with a couple months the traps doubled in size. But after reading from the forums I was made aware of a few imprtant things: They need lotsa light - far more than the window sill I was providing. So when spring came and they went outside and soon thereafter, flowered. Secondly, I discovered that if I close them off to maintain higher humidity, I create a mini-greenhouse effect. The traps balcken die quicly and the new ones are smaller. So they need air circulation. Also, they need a winter dormancy. Outside is really where they need to be, unlike most CP's that do just fine on window sills.

Back