What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wierd growth in vft.. (pics inside! yay)

One of my VFTs has this wierd stem growing in a loop or somthing. Its better if you see the pics:

Its 2 seperate loops. When I tug on the middle part, the peak of the loop, it feels like its growing from both ends of the loop. I can't seem to get one of the ends free, I don't want to pull too hard and damage the plant.. because its not big deal really. I dug in the moss and I can't find a trap on the other end. The stem or whatever it is is pretty strong and sturdy too. Anyone seen anything like this?

Well this is what we call evolution. See VFT's having longingly looked at their nepenthes counterparts in the greenhouse and have decided that they want to be hung from the rafters as well. Therefore they have naturally developed a nice sturdy loop in order for them to be able to hang with their buddies....That is a weird looking stem lol
smile_n_32.gif

Zac

Only two possibilities. A flower stem unable to pull its Flower head free, or,
a couple leaves stuck in position by their traps. No biggy. Put a couple fingers on the leaves of the plant, put a sharp pencil under the loops, one at a time. Pull up! If they break, WHO CARES???? They will follow with new growth anyway. But to follow with new, clear the path.

The end of the trap was all the wayy down there. I had to dig a lil and yank it out. The traps looked like a really soft, lifeless green kidney bean.

you would be that way to if one of youre stomachs was growing into the ground...
smile_l_32.gif

Dont worry, just wait for new growth It should resume normal growth afterwards.

Cheers

Back