What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blazingly hot weather

Hi,

I grow my flytraps outdoors in Houston, TX using the tray system, and the temps often average around mid to high 90s. This hot weather seems to be causing an adverse reaction in the traps, closing them slightly and preventing them from opening up too widely. Anyone from other hot parts of the country feel like the heat changes the way the leaves grow/function?

Right now they get full noon to afternoon sun...not the ideal, but any other location in my backyard and they would get the brunt of the sprinkler system. The water evaporates so fast from their trays.

Thanks.
Johnny

I'm right up here in Dallas and I have my VFT's under a tree so they get full morning and late evening sun and filtered sun in the midday. I've found that after a nice long acclimation they can handle the constant 100+ degree temps and still grow and function normally.

But yeah, it dose suck that you have to fill the watering trays 3-4 times a day. A good way around it is to put all you VFT's together in a bog. My mini-bogs hold on to water for days at a time. Good luck

Hey Justin,

I actually have all the pots in one long rubbermaid tray that I got from Lowes.  Do you grow them in pure peat or a mix of other things?  Mine are in pure peat and I'm afraid it's getting quite compact and possibly heating up the roots a bit much.  

Also, the only reason I put them where they are now (getting HOT noonday and afternoon sun) is because under the trees is where I found birds pecking at the moss and the traps.  I lost a 1.5 inch trap because of them.
smile_h_32.gif
I might try hanging some cds to ward them off.

I grow seedlings in pure peat and bigger VFT's get pure LFS.

I was worried about them today ( I got in my car and the temp gauge in the dash said it was 104 degree's!! ). When I picked up my one metal pot I have I almost burned my hands.

They survived these temps last year but I swear I'm very close to bringing them inside until winter.

Back