What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I recently purchased a venus flytrap at my local greenhouse, and i was wondering if i should repot it. It came in a small pot about 4 inches tall by 3 inches wide. also can i use soil around my house or does it need a special kind of soil, and it gets about 80-90 degrees during the day, and about 40-50 degrees at night at my house. last but not least, there is no humidity where i live, if i put the pot in a pan with some water in it will that up the humidity enough to be good (I spray it with water from a spray bottle)

welcome, piko!  
smile.gif

This and
this should get you up and running.

as far as repotting, I'd say it's probably just fine as it is.  if you do feel you must repot, make sure you don't use any old soil!  the whole reason venus flytraps need to eat bugs is because they live in very nutrient-poor soil.  so if you used garden soil, or anything with any sort of fertilizer or nutrients, you'd probably kill it!  there are more details on the links above, but basically you want to stick with sphagnum peat moss or a 50/50 mix of that with sand or perlite.

also, VERY important, use ONLY distilled water (available at a drug store or supermarket) or rain water for your vft!  any other water could potentially kill your plant because of the minerals it contains.

as far as the temperature drops at night and the humidity, well...I'm no expert...but here are my best guesses:
since the temperature drops are so extreme, you might want to take the plant inside at night.  the reason I say that is because the nighttime temperatures are similar to wintertime in their natural habitat...which could mess up their signals to go into dormancy.  do, however, keep it outside during the day...the more sun they get the better!
and venus flytraps are actually quite happy if you stick their pot in a water tray.  this will keep their soil nice and wet, and also improve the humidity around the plant as the water from the tray evaporates.  try about an inch of water (remember, distilled or rain only!)

good luck!

I live out in the country in the black hills of south dakota where we get natural filtered well waters as our water source would that work, also would dirt from the ground work or is that too fertile for the plants

the water MIGHT be okay, but the only way you'll know is by trying it out...it's a risk!

and no, don't use dirt from around your house...vft's live in sphagnum bogs, so the only soils you should use are the above.

so a smaller pot means bigger traps. i guess ill keep it in the pot i've got

Just wanted to say welcome to TerraForums!

Back