What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peat Moss Brands

Hey guys,
Just wanted to get some info on what brand peat moss people use, don't wanna use the wrong stuff
smile_m_32.gif

Sunshine without fertilizer added or Black Gold
LMO

I've used Nirom & Lambert brand (Canadain) bales, purchased from Home Depot. I hear that Schultz is good too. In contrast, Scott's brand of the small bag is not good for CP's, due to fertilizers added.

Thanks for the info guys, is Schultz the one from Wal-Mart?

I have used Sunshine Canadian Peat for years and find it to be the best available in my area.

I use the Sunshine brand also. Good price and good quality.

Hey Steve, you know where to get the Sunshine brand peat moss in the Bay Area? All our nurseries only carry the Miracle-Gro Peat w/ Miracle-Gro Plant FOoD?!

I buy it at Summerwinds Nurery in San Jose. Corner of Almaden Expy. and Branham Ln.

What size bag are you looking for? I get the "medium bale" (2.2 cu. ft.), which if I remember right cost about 10 bucks and is more than enough to keep the average CP grower going for quite some time. The same nursery also sells a good quality sand for about $6/ 50 lb. bag.

Thanks! I wonder if the Sunnyvale stores has got it, I do most of my grocery shopping frequently around that area. If not, it won't hurt to drive to the San Jose store.

I will be checking the Summerwinds branch in Mountain View this weekend to see if they sell Sunshine Peat Moss and sand. Thanks for the info Steve.

actually I've heard the opposite between schultz and scotts. Schultz may have fert added. I use scotts in all my plants and have no problems.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CPsInAtl @ July 27 2006,6:45)]I use scotts in all my plants and have no problems.
same here.

I think most brands, if they have fertilizers, will openly advertise that fact in order to attract people who grow weird things like flowers and tomatoes.

Hey vftgrrl, lemme know if the Mountain View Summerwinds has got Sunshine, might save me from running to the Sunnyvale one! Thanks a lot!

As for Scotts and Schultz, never heard anything bad (nor used b4), just been told to get bales over bags.....

I have used both Schultz and Scott's brand with no problems.

Here's the link to the topic that indicates Scotts Peat may be problematic. I don't use the small bags of peat - only the bales.

Scotts Peat

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Blepharopsis @ July 27 2006,1:20)]Hey vftgrrl, lemme know if the Mountain View Summerwinds has got Sunshine, might save me from running to the Sunnyvale one! Thanks a lot!

As for Scotts and Schultz, never heard anything bad (nor used b4), just been told to get bales over bags.....
Sure thing.

Ok I went to Summerwinds in Mtn View this afternoon and YES they have Sunshine's Canadian Peat Moss, in two sizes - 1 cu.ft. and 2.2 cu.ft.

FYI, Blepharopsis.

Okay, thanks!! Probably be payin a visit today.....

Back