What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

red dragons losing their red...

This is my first post,so bear with me-I'll try to keep it brief. In my outdoor cp garden I have,among other things, several red dragon vfts. When I received them they were the typical deep purple/red. Now,after several months they are ...as much green as red. They grow in full sun 8+hrs.daily,are watered exclusively with distilled or rain water,are planted in 1prt.canadian peat-1prt.perlite and grow side-by-side with "scarlett belle's",Judith hindle hybrids,dana's delights,etc. that all have and keep their deep red colorings. The nursery I purchased them from tell me this loss of color is due to the angle of the sun? The angle of the sun doesn't affect the other plants in this way-just the opposite actually-their colors are all deep and vibrant reds,purples,etc.
Can anyone "shed some light on this"?

It might not be a red dragon at all. I think there are a few VFT cultivars out there that are kinda half red half green. But under really srtong lights can be made to look like a red dragon.

I personally have never had any problems with my RD turning green and I give them less light than you do.

If it makes you feel any better, my 'Red Dragon' is often more green than my 'Green Dragon;' both of them grow fairly red in my light, but the 'Red Dragon' tends to have green margins on the outside of the leaf. Loss of color could have to do with changing soil nutrients, or how long the traps have a chance to develop before the first time they close. Bugweed, one of our more experienced growers, says that the first time a trap closes, it stops coloring up and just stays the way it is for the rest of its life. Copcar could also be right about you not actually having a 'Red Dragon,' but my suspicion is that something has subtly changed about your plants' growing conditions. There have been some discussions on the Sarracenia board about using black tea to increase the acidity of soil; that might be worth a try for you. The threads should still be near the top of that board, or you can do a search for 'tannic tea.'
Best luck,
~Joe

PS - Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Darned if I can see much difference. My green dragons were as red as my red dragons, and I have red dragons that are green and never redden. SHeesh!

I have heard it isn't so much the amount of direct sun that colors them.....someone...Bugweed I think said he got more red from filtered sunlight than direct. You might try asking him, but my memory might be playing me tricks....it often does.

Back