What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repotting

Is it too late in the season to repot a VFT?

Depending on the reason that you want to repot, it generally is never too late or too early. If the plant is in poor soil, repotting is much better than leaving it in a bad situation. Is your desire to repot simply cosmetic? If so, I personally wait to separate and repot my plants until late winter or early spring when they just begin to break dormancy by the initiation of root elongation. Repotting now will be OK, but will likely stress the plant so that growth is reduced for a while. If you were to repot by carefully placing the entire soil mass in a larger pot without disturbance, the plant may not notice the difference. If, however, you were to bare-root repot the plant, you will likely break roots and the plant will become somewhat stressed.

A bit cosmetic and a bit other. The way they were potted the crowns had become buried and the plants appear to have some rot issues.

Repot at any time of year. Your plants might sulk for a week or so, but they'll be growing well again in no time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BobZ @ Aug. 03 2006,8:07)]Depending on the reason that you want to repot, it generally is never too late or too early. If the plant is in poor soil, repotting is much better than leaving it in a bad situation. Is your desire to repot simply cosmetic? If so, I personally wait to separate and repot my plants until late winter or early spring when they just begin to break dormancy by the initiation of root elongation. Repotting now will be OK, but will likely stress the plant so that growth is reduced for a while. If you were to repot by carefully placing the entire soil mass in a larger pot without disturbance, the plant may not notice the difference. If, however, you were to bare-root repot the plant, you will likely break roots and the plant will become somewhat stressed.
This is one of the most sound guidelines you will come across in our hobby.

I've never had problems repotting any plant at any time of the year but I always do it as gently with as little root disturbance as possible.

Back