What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are there any "uncommon" cultivars available?

joossa

Aklys
Hello everyone!

I would like to know if any of you that have acquired your VFT's at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Osh, etc. have seen any cultivars other than the Typical Venus Flytrap being sold....

Specifically have any of you seen Dentate, Green Dragon, Red Dragon, and Giant Trap types at these stores???
Where they specially labeled and priced higher than the Typical VFT's?

I ask this because I have only seen typical VFT's being sold at my Wal-Mart, and I am interested in maybe getting a different cultivar for the Spring. I don't shop online at all and my local nurseries don't sell Carnivours Plants, so the only places that are left are the hardware and home and garden stores...

Thank you!

You'll have better luck buying from a CP dealer online. You could also seek out a nursery in person - you're in California, aren't you? There's always giveaways on the trading forum too... keep an eye out for those. I've seen unusual Nepenthes and sundews at the hardware store, but never any exotic VFTs, beyond red varieties.
~Joe

According to the thread in the "Identify that plant" forum Lowe's only sells dionaea muscipula.

Lowe's Thread

xvart.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Where they specially labeled and priced higher than the Typical VFT's?

I wouldn't trust the labels on plants from the home centers even if they gave one. I have seen "dente" looking plants sold at a couple home stores in the past, so it is possible to find some variety, but in general I find most stores only stock typicals.

Another option is to attend the LACPS shows. I'm sure there will be dealers selling VFT there that you can trust. That would probably be your next best bet if you can't or won't buy online.

Steve

Your best bet is Walmart. So far they are the only "regular store" that I have seen the "odd" types of VFT's. You just have to go through them all and you might get lucky.

Also Walgreens stores are starting to get VFT's from the same supplier as Walmart. So they might have something interesting.

I've seen typical, bigmouth, dente and yellow at walmart.

Justlikeapill, how do you know for sure that the vft's at walmart are Bigmouth or Yellow? They aren't, and to just "assume" they are will just further confuse the already jumbled confusion on a lot of these plants and false clones are going around and its really a shame. I grow what you probably assume is the bigmouth and yellow clone from Walmart, and trust me they are totally different from the true clones...

You'r right.

I found Dionaea that look identical to but may very well not be cultivars Big mouth and yellow. I shouldn't spread confusion. My bad.

FYI, I labeled all my VFT's from Wallyworld as D. walmartensis (idea was stolen from somewhere). They are not "typicals" but in TC which these come from variations can be induced depending on how it is done. They may look and act like some other cultivars but are really unknown. Please label them as what they are "unknown" thereby decreasing the chances of circulating more misidentified seed / plants. They do have some cool looking ones around, I even found some the other day in Big Lots !

I got my dentate the first VFT from walmart.

When I was at Walmart, they had a bunch on vfts for sale. Over 200, they must've just got them in. They didn't appear to be from a single clone. Some were very different. Many looked typical, some were mostly green, some intensely red in the traps, some upright some low growing, some were dentate. Lots of variety, I of course picked the one with the biggest red trap. It's been an excellent grower, more vigorous than my other vfts.

Ok, so it seems that the diffrerent types being sold are distributed randomly...

One last question I forgot to mention:
Do you know if there is a trend as to when they have them in stock and how often??? I know for a fact that they are available early spring becase that's when I bought mine, but I never saw my Wal-Mart restock them through the rest of the spring or summer (mostly because I didn't go there very often). Have you seen them being sold during the summer? Fall??? Winter?
confused.gif
??

Thanks again.

the warmer months are the best time to find CPs at these stores. when they start putting garden supplies out in the spring, that's the time to start looking. I think June/July are the best months to look at Home Depot, and July/August are the best months to look at Lowe's. for Walmart, try late summer. Lowe's might have a few dying sundews through the winter in their indoor displays, leftover from the summer, but you might get lucky and find them restocked in the middle of winter. a local supermarket had VFTs before Halloween last year, but this year they had them in the summer instead.

this is all in my experience though...your local stores will most likely be different...

one thing you could try is asking people in the garden department if they know when they'll be restocking the CPs (call them venus flytraps, though, or they'll have no clue what you're talking about). I asked a few people, and they weren't very helpful, but always worth a shot, right? if anyone knows it will probably be a manager type...try going during the day.

can you tell I'm so obsessed with CPs that I have to stop at these stores every time I go by? murphy's law, though. the one time I don't go is the time they'll have something new and interesting in stock.

best of luck in your quest...

I tend to save the few VFT's from the Stores.. other wise i say skrew it... they had a nepenthes once... It was about dead.. didnt save it. Should have... darn!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Presto @ Oct. 19 2006,4:00)]Lowe's might have a few dying sundews through the winter in their indoor displays, leftover from the summer, but you might get lucky and find them restocked in the middle of winter.
I was just at Lowe's and struck a deal with the garden center manager because their stock was looking pretty sad and looked like they were about to be trashed. She gave me 60% off so it never hurts to ask about the poor CPs that nobody wants (gasp!).

xvart.

I've gotten some freebies, or real cheap of supposed "dead" Flytraps. They look at me and say "you can restore that?"

When I lived in SF I saw CPs all over, Red Dragons, Dentae, Typical as well as low-growing red traps and long skinny leaves which I think are more due to the conditions of where they were grown before being sold.. NY I've seen Typical & Dentae

Most nurseries and orchids stores in SF had em as well as flower shops, even grocery stores (gotta big S. Catesbyi for 8 bucks at Whole Foods) Seen some nice Neps for cheap too, SF and Amsterdam are like the best places in the world for CP lovers. They're everywhere!!

Amsterdam has a garden market type of flower district with the nurseries having their shops on barges in the canal, the Amount and variety of the plants you'll see there will take your breath away. Big sizes too, no little-teh butt young plants there! I'll dig up the pics when I got the chance and post em, you all will be impressed!!

hey ..go for it....pics are always amazing. especially those of CP's . ;)

One way to find out whether or not your plant is one of the named giant varieties or any named variety is to find the website of the company selling the plant. Take for example Booman Floral. If your plant's label has Booman Floral written on the corner of the advertisement/ care sheet, go to the online site and find out how they acquire their plants. Booman Floral TC's their own VFT seeds, so there's not a chance a Booman Floral VFT is going to be a named variety. But just because the plant is not a named variety doesn't mean it will be any smaller or greener or less vigorous or ect, for named varieties were once just no name typical VFT's like the ones you get a Lowes, adopted then coined a name. Who knows, you might buy a no name VFT from Lowes and be lucky enough to get a VFT with notable characterstics. I know I've gotten VFT's from Lowes that tend to clump, tend to grow upright, is all green, gets really red traps, ect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (uglypho @ Nov. 09 2006,7:55)]One way to find out whether or not your plant is one of the named giant varieties or any named variety is to find the website of the company selling the plant. Take for example Booman Floral. If your plant's label has Booman Floral written on the corner of the advertisement/ care sheet, go to the online site and find out how they acquire their plants. Booman Floral TC's their own VFT seeds, so there's not a chance a Booman Floral VFT is going to be a named variety. But just because the plant is not a named variety doesn't mean it will be any smaller or greener or less vigorous or ect, for named varieties were once just no name typical VFT's like the ones you get a Lowes, adopted then coined a name. Who knows, you might buy a no name VFT from Lowes and be lucky enough to get a VFT with notable characterstics. I know I've gotten VFT's from Lowes that tend to clump, tend to grow upright, is all green, gets really red traps, ect.
i got 2 VFTs from walmart once... they looked exactly the same. the raps were hugging the ground and box shaped. they wer very red on the inside. so they both went outside...one took a odd turn and did some funky things. the traps went from red to colorless. the other was still red. the new leaves grew upright while the other one still was hugging the ground. just recently i noticed that this odd VFT has turned around and has pinkish traps...the other is still the same as it was except for the trap shape.

Another situation. another VFT bought from walmart and it was very red... very pretty really. the traps went normal color but its new offshoot has these dark red traps...inside and out.

Alex

It's tough to tell, Typical Flytraps change dramatically throughout their growing cycles. Spring-low traps, summer-tall, upright leaves and the end of summer they fall back to low-lying traps with a deep-red mouth..
I have gotten supossed "Typical" Fltraps from the New York Botanical Gardens that seem so far to stick to their growth patterns this season.
Low-growing red-trap
Tall leaf-grower
They respectively made those traps throughout this seasons cycle and I picked them out for those traits hoping they'd continue growing that way. So far, they did. Next years growth will be the true test.

Back