What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have you seen this one?

flytraplady5

Hort. School dropout X 2
This product says they may be wild crafted.AKA collected from the wild, and since we know VFTs are protected and still heavily poached at times. maybe this is the place that is buying them.
(If this belongs on the conservation forum, could one of the moderators move it.please?)

Lois

http://www.herbspro.com/custom....dw0BzjA

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Statements made, or products sold through this web site, have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any diseases. Consult a qualified health care practitioner before taking any substance for medicinal purposes
theres another part... i say we email them and fish and wildlife people to see if they have their paper work.
Alex

Well, I think that the "wild crafted" paragraph is a generic claim. If you read the statement, it says that their products are either

1) are either cultivated without the use of chemicals, preservatives, herbicides, pesticides, fumigation, and irradiation
or
2)wildcrafted in their natural habitat

Not that I am taking sides or anything, but that seems to read that their products are either cultured "organically" or they harvest them outside. I don't think this implies that the product in question specifically contains extract from "wildcrafted" VFTs.

Also consider, you are referencing a retailer of product, not the product's manufacturer, which can be found here:

http://www.herb-pharm.com/index.html

Like I said, I am not defending them, just playing devil's advocate.

I was curious as to what the claimed benefits of this extract are. Quite interesting claims (Google "Venus Flytrap extract"):

http://www.naturesalternatives.com/herbs/venusflytrap.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Actions: Deep immune activator, antiviral, analgesic, antineoplastic.

Common Use: In Germany, a standardized solution of this plant is used in the treatment of chronic diseases, including most forms of cancer, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, all types of herpes infections, chronic arthritis and almost any immune deficiency state, including AIDS. In cases of cancer, its proponents claim it works therapeutically to shrink solid tumors, but does not help with blood abnormalities such as leukemia. Proponents also claim that in clinical applications, it has been effective in boosting immune function and eliminating the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) from the blood. Dr. Morton Walker writes "I have observed laboratory test readings on HIV-positive patients, recorded by [German doctors] and American holistic physicians. The patients T-helper cell counts rose from as low as 11 per cubic millimeter of blood to well beyond 700, while the T-suppressor cells decreased sharply. This makes the individual's important helper/suppressor ratio almost normal. The most surprising result has been [the German Venus' Flytrap solution's] direct effect in reducing the viability of the HIV. Quite simply, an identified biochemical ingredient in [Venus' Flytrap] kills the AIDS virus. Also, the Beta-2 Microglobulin test, which measures the amounts of plasma proteins produced by HIV, decreases. This test for Beta-2 levels is judged to be the most accurate of all predictors of HIV progression to AIDS. A decrease in Beta-2 levels indicates that the patient is not advancing to full blown AIDS." 15 to 30 drops 3-5 times daily before meals. Not recommended if nursing or pregnant.

http://www.evitamins.com/product.asp?pid=4901

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The Venus Fly-Trap Plant (Dionaea Muscipula) is a species of carnivorous plants that contains a powerful immune modulator "naphthoquinone plumbagin". Published scientific research indicates that plumbagins used in low doses are potent stimulators of macrophage activity, anti-mutagenic, elevates HDL, the good cholesterol, and prevented bacterial resistance to antibiotics in animal studies. Metabolic effects: - increases or normalizes body temperature (anecdotal reports).

http://www.herbalinformation.com/flytraparticle.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Following the removal of malignant polyps from his colon, President Ronald Reagan sent to Nordhalben, Germany for an herbal extract to take as a preventive against the cancer's spread. Thereafter, he drank 30 drops of this extract, Carnivora, in a glass of purified water or herb tea four times a day. According to records kept by the extract's German manufacturer, the former U.S. president still buys these drops today (1992).

Carnivora is derived from the plant Venus' Flytrap (Dionaea muscipula). This is a standardized solution used in the treatment of chronic diseases, including most forms of cancer, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, all types of herpes infections, chronic arthritis, and almost any immune deficiency state, including AIDS. In cases of cancer, Carnivora works therapeutically to shrink solid tumors, according to its proponents, but does not help with blood abnormalities such as leukemia. Also, it works best if the patient has not previously undergone chemotherapy or radiation therapy. Carnivora's proponents also claim that in other clinical applications, it has been effective in boosting immune function and eliminating the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) from the blood.

I think my aunt might have taken a drug made from VFT's when she had cancer. She died, though.

wow... that's intersting. not something i would try unless promted by a real physician. wonder how that tastes?

the first time i let my daughter out on the patio, she started to eat the peat moss that jesus, my vft is in. if i hadn't caught her i betcha she woulda taken a hunk out of the plant, too.

you named your VFT jesus...?

i also name my plants, but eh...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bugfreak @ Nov. 21 2006,9:35)]wow... that's intersting. not something i would try unless promted by a real physician. wonder how that tastes?

the first time i let my daughter out on the patio, she started to eat the peat moss that jesus, my vft is in. if i hadn't caught her i betcha she woulda taken a hunk out of the plant, too.
Dude, she was so desperate she'd try anything. She even flew to tiajuana (can't spell) to get a procedure that wasn't FDA approved. She did something called the GAMMA knife, too.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dude, she was so desperate she'd try anything. She even flew to tiajuana (can't spell) to get a procedure that wasn't FDA approved. She did something called the GAMMA knife, too.

From what little I read on the extract, I guess the German's are saying it works best if the patient hasn't undergone chemo or radiation therapy and only on certain kinds of tumors.

The GAMMA knife is a pretty interesting device. It's used for brain tumors and what they do is focus like 3 Gamma ray beams on the tumor. The idea is a single beam is not strong enough to cause much tissue damage but where the beams focus - zap!

Wasn't it gamma rays that turned Doc Banner into The Hulk?

I believe it was.

Back