What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Trap VFT

• Thread starter JMatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    vft

JMatt

Stovepipe (The Beast) RIP My friend.
These shots are a few years old, but I was curious if anybody else had this happen to them. These were totally independent of each other and functioned properly. If I could only get it to do this all the time!
With the plants I have now growing so close together I wouldn't know if there was one like that in there. I got lucky and caught this one.
Later
necpsshow090nd2.jpg
necpsshow096ji7.jpg
necpsshow097iz3.jpg
necpsshow098zg0.jpg

Pretty common.

There's an article in the September 2006 issue of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter (vol 35, No 3) the Journal of the International Carnivorous Plant Society on that very subject. "Observations of a Two-Headed Flytrap" pg 74-75.

Odd that this should happen in the summer of 2003 (as noted in the article) also, unless of course you are the very same author
smile.gif

No, wasn't me.
I had heard that it was not that rare of a thing to happen, but figured I would see if anybody else had pictures of there own to show.
Later

Yours is a nice one! If only we could have a plant with 2 leaves per petiole. And have it nice and pronounced and well formed like yours. I can only dream..

Yea you could make lots of money Tissue culturing it I would think.

Unfortunately all of the cool mutations are temporary
sad.gif

If there was a permanent mutation like that I'd gladly shell out the cash.

Just like Clint mentioned, it is a common occurrence. I have seen it mentioned in a number of books, sites, and forums. I believe the last one I saw on this forum was vraev's.

no dude...I havent so far seen any double traps on my plants. (YET!)
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]no dude...I havent so far seen any double traps on my plants. (YET!)
Hmm... my mistake. Sorry about that; it was probably someone's else's...

I don't know a whole ton about genetics, but if you had two seperate two headed traps and you bred them together wouldn't the trait be more likely to appear in the offspring of the parents. Isn't that how people strengthen the traits of cultivars? That seems logical to me at least....

-Gabe

These double-header pictures are on Barry Rice's Galleria Carnivora:

double cupped traps :0o:
dmusc90.jpg

dmusc95.jpg

dmusc96.jpg

I don't know a whole ton about genetics, but if you had two seperate two headed traps and you bred them together wouldn't the trait be more likely to appear in the offspring of the parents. Isn't that how people strengthen the traits of cultivars? That seems logical to me at least....

-Gabe

That would work if the two plants showed a tendency to produce double-headers to begin with. I think it's more of a random occurance, an error in division of the cells at some point in the growth - like identical twins. The author of the article in the Sept 2006 issue of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter says it happened to a five year old plant in the summer of 2003 and was watching the plant for similar unusual traps. None reported that I know of.

Snakes reproduce faster than VFTs and you see plenty pictures of two-headed snakes. I would have thought someone would have bred that trait if they could by now.

Back