What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jst another noob question

• Thread starter VTFlover
  • Start date
what happens if my plant over feeds it self and all traps are digesting some thing

It gets more nutrients and grows better. But really all you need is the sun. Bugs are just an added bonus.

so it wont kill it if it does that to its self?

Unlike goldfish, it's highly unlikely that a VFT will ever overfeed. The traps naturally accomodate only prey of managable size, so, unless some exotic, super-nutritive bug finds it's way to your traps, it shouldn't ever be a problem. That said, it is very possible to manually overfeed a VFT, by intentionally giving it the wrong food or prey items that are too big or already decaying. Also, some bugs are just chemically unpalatable to flytraps, such as varieties of ants that produce lots of formic acid. In either case, usually the very worst is that the individual trap (and not the entire plant) will cease to function, discolor, or die. But it's not harmful to the plant - the reason there is a trap on the end of each leaf is because the plant knows that it's going to need to replace them regularly.
~Joe

how often can i feed it manually

no need to. it will get all it needs outside
Alex

k but if u wanted to how often and also what would happen if it got a be of wasp would the wap or bee break though??

ok

k but if u wanted to how often and also what would happen if it got a bee or wasp would the wap or bee break though??

Hand feed one or two traps a month if you wish, or any time you happen to catch a bug running around the house.

You should do it at least once in your lifetime just so you can watch the process from the beginning.

What many people do with strong or fast insects like bees, wasps or crickets is put them in a container and then into the freezer for a few minutes - long enough to slow the insect down but not kill it. Then with some tweezers feed the insect into a trap. The leaf should close tight enough that the insect cannot escape. As the insect warms up it will struggle more and signal the trap to close tighter.

awesome i just want to see the bug get traped the i can just watch it strugle for hours or till it dies :poke:

The insect should be small enough to fit completely into the trap. Any thing bigger you risk the change it might escape or more likely start growing fungus or mold which probably isn't good for the leaf and the plant.

Once the trap seals (2nd phase) there isn't much to see. Before that you can kind of peek in between the cilia (teeth/fingers). A strong magnifying glass is recommended. After it seals you can take a small pen light and light the leaf from behind and you can make out the shadow of the insect (unless it's a fairly light or translucent insect).

Do not try to pry or pull open the trap as you will tear or otherwise damage it.

Remember this is a living organism and one of the true miracles of nature. Treat it as such and not a pet to perform tricks for you and it may live for decades to give you enjoyment for having it.

k so it can eat a bee though?

If the bee is not too big for the trap it can.

omg thats awesome if my traps get big enough ill get a liitle revange on bees lol

If you really want revenge on the bees I can help you with that. My N. Ventrata fills up with them in a couple days. PM me if you want some.

lol maybe some day i will but first i gotta make sure i can grow vft

Keep in mind that bees are considered “good” insects. They are pollinators and help plants reproduce. One bee won’t do much damage, but try to feed the plant a fly or small cricket next time.

Yea bees don't hurt us except when they still but that's prolly your fault. But at the same time it's their fault when they won't leave my neps alone and get caught.

I wondered about that myself. Perhaps VTFLover is one of those who is deathly allergic to bee venom and spent some time in the emergency room or otherwise incapacitated. Either way it's not pleasant.

If that's the case then be extra careful and keep your shots handy.

Back