What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think my flytrap is moldy

I recently noticed that there was a lot of white fuzzy stuff around one of my VFTs. It seemed like too much to be the work of fungus gnats. I took some pictures before scraping it off. I know I should probably consult some books before asking the internet, but, internet, do you think I should apply a fungicide of some kind? If so, what kind and how?

flytrapmold_11.jpg

flytrapmold_05.jpg

thats a pretty VFT i like all of those teeth on it :)

i had the same stuff on one of my utrics. i think it might be fungus gnats. transplant and itll be ok!
Alex

Fungus gnats don't leave a webbing behind and transplanting won't fix a fungus or fungus gnat problem. The only way to get rid of fungus gnats is to get rid of all your plants permanently. That removes the moist soil they live and breed in. I prefer placing sudews such as D. filiformis or D. binata next to the pots with the infestation. The dews get fed and the gnats life cycle gets interupted and their numbers decline. The larvae feed on fungi and decaying organic matter as well as plant tissues.

Cockroach, the webbing in in your photos is fungal filaments. Try scraping it off and increase the lght and air circulation around your plants to discourage it from coming back. Also, you might let the surface of the pots dry out a little bit more before watering. If that doesn't help then try a fungicide. I have used Garden Safe Fungicide 3 (it's a fungicide/miticide/insecticide) on my plants and it hasn't harmed them and did get rid of a fungus problem I had on one of my Utricularia.

I've had fungus similar to that on plants kept dormant in the fridge. The best thing I've found to kill it is a week or so in full sun. Every fungicide I've tried wipes it out for a day or so, but lets it spring back afterwards.

Back