What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Root

• Thread starter xXTWECOXx
  • Start date
I just got a couple of tillandsias and was wondering about how long until they will attach themselves via roots? A couple of months, years?

AFAIK, most people just glue them to the wood using some sorta special plant glue.

-Ben

Well, I have it glued but i was just wondering how long until the roots grab hold. I mainly want the roots there so it looks more natural than the plant just but magically stuck there. I have the base of the plants covered up to make it look a little better but still.

I'm not sure most will even make roots. They don't need 'em, they're only a means to grasp onto branches and stuff, and since they're glued down already, they'll be fine.

-Ben

I've had Tillandsias that never made any attempt to root, others that tried as soon as there was moisture, and others that only rooted when growing pups. Other than for the ones that seem to prefer having roots in a soil mix, such as T. cyanea, many of them don't seem very anxious to root.

Alright then, i guess I'll just wait and see what happens.

They will almost certainly make roots and the roots will eventually cling on to the stick or rock or whatever they are on. The roots do not seem to have a strategy to find the stick - they just go in all directions until they find something. The roots are not needed for water absorbtion however I've found that they can dry up if they are not sprayed when the plant is sprayed.
I use coarse string to hold a lot of mine on - this rots in about 12-18 months and usually by then the plant is well stuck on with its own roots.
They all go out for the sumnmer here in the UK.

Best regards

Chris

Back