What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I learn to growth fern from spores...

please see my ferns....
platycerium sp...
00117_16.jpg

well are you going to announce how you do it?
lolz

i wanna know how to grow staghorn ferns...i believe thats what those huge ones in your pics are

I think that they are. I totally agree: WHAT'S YOUR SECRET?! I MUST KNOW!
Heh heh heh... I think I should stop...

Beautiful man! I'd like to know your methods too.

It's pretty hit or miss by taking a Qtip swab of spores off a plant and tapping them out over some suitable growing media and giving good misting every day (though it works). There's a cool step by step of spore sowing and how to breed (sow spores) and make making hybrid ferns in this book.

51hA%2BE8nLfL._SS400_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Fern-Growers-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1232594016&sr=1-1

Big Google books preview of the book here propagation chapter starts on page 63 and goes to 87:
http://books.google.com/books?id=Wq_-jexfHCcC&pg=PP1&dq=fern+growers+manual

It's sorta pricey but it's the best fern book I own. It covers many facets not touched on elsewhere (like making hybrid ferns)! I just wish it had more color photos than a clump in the middle.

Wow....realy nice!!! Love them! I used to grow a few long time ago.

Sathien,

Beautiful redleyi and elephantotis!!

I tried growing redleyi from spores once and I did pretty well, but I think I put too many spores crowding the culture. I had a couple small plants form but they died shortly after. After a couple months the whole cultures started turning brown.

I would love to try again, do you where I can get more spores? One Species I would LOVE to grow is Pyrrosia longifolia 'crestata' !!!!! So beautiful!! By the way you have a lot of beautiufl plant, Very nice Lycopodiums you have too!!

Take care and Happy Growing,
-Jc
Miami, Fl

Back