What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery plant, kind of bromeliad?

Indiana Gardener

Got Drosera?
This is a friend's mystery plant. It looks like some kind of Bromeliad, but has runners?

mysteryhouseplant.jpg

I don't think it's a bromeliad. I've heard it called Moses-in-the-Cradle. It's all over Hawaii, apparently.
~Joe

I don't think it's a bromeliad. I've heard it called Moses-in-the-Cradle. It's all over Hawaii, apparently.
~Joe

I gota agree with Joe on this as it looks identical to the Moses-in-a-Cradle i had many yrs ago...

I saw one of these at Lowes on Saturday, looks just like the one you have posted. They called it a Moses in a Cradle at Lowes too :)

I don't know what it is, but it ain't Moses-in-a-cradle. That is a semi-succulent. The leaves on this thing have too much of a gloss and Moses (Rhoeo) is more likely to clump, whereas this thing looks like its creeping, or at least crawling. I would say it's some type of wax-leaf. It looks variegated to me.

Rhoeo%20tricolor.JPG

Rhoeo_Tradescantia_spathacea.jpg

The latter is the tri-colour or stripe me pink, whereas the latter is the giant version. There is a dwarf too, bit I have never seen it in cultivation.

Back