Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lamparas de la selva

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lamparas de la selva

Here is a photo of the Catopsis berteroniana, just out of the bag, that I received from Wistuba yesterday. It is potted up into a solo mix of coarse perlite. The plant is still small, standing only about a couple of inches tall.

The title 'Lamparas de la selva' is the common South American name for these plants, meaning 'jungle lanterns', due to their glowing bright yellow color and epiphytic proclivity for growing on bare tree branches or telephone wires.

Whether these plants are truly carnivorous or not is still unclear, although they do readily attract and capture insects.

I have been trying to add this particular bromeliad to my collection for a couple of years now, so I am happy to finally see it here.

* Special thanks to Carnivoure12 for his help with some of the finer points in Spanish translation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a very nice looking plant you received there. I'll have to look into those some day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very cool looking, I love the lime green glow, looks very nice thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like a really cool plant. I'd like to see photos if you can ever get one to grow on a tree.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys.

Mike, they are available in the states. Next time you're chatting with Clue, ask him for the vendor's name. Clue knows where to get them from.

Capensis, it would probably be easy to train them to grow on a branch or a stick in a terrarium. They grow up into the southern tip of Florida. Maybe a Floridian has some pics of their local growth habits. I'd like to see some pics of them in situ too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, really? I had no idea. But I guess that's because I live in Central Florida. :P But that's interesting. But if they're anything like orchids, it should be pretty easy. My mom recently tied 6 orchids on a tree and 5 of them made it.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an update on my Catopsis berteroniana. It has almost doubled in size, growing from about two inches to just over 3.5 inches, since I got it.

It is growing in a four inch pot, in straight perlite and it gets fed the occasional fruit fly from time to time.

dvg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's just magnificent. I was thinkin' about picking myself up a little Brocchinia, but maybe I'll go for a Catopsis instead.

Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    Thanks guys.

Mike, they are available in the states. Next time you're chatting with Clue, ask him for the vendor's name. Clue knows where to get them from.
    Doug, that was supposed to be a secret! They sell Brocchinia and Catopsis, by the way.
    "I, for one, can't wait to grow Nepenthes extincta!"
    Plant List ; blog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast