What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

home depot tillandsia

thez_yo

instigator
While roaming around my local Home Depot today, I saw a stand of really nice, big looking Tillandsias that weren't their usual :censor: brand, so I yoinked them - bulbosa, ionantha, graomogolensis and tenuifolia (from their tags). Pic:

P1040021.jpg

I might go back for more because there's one that almost feels like a succulent that I had a couple years back that I think I saw, but didn't have time to look too closely for it.

Cool find at the big box. What is that bulbous plant on the left surrounded by small colored pots and snake-looking arms? (Doesn't look like something they would stock...)

marvinI: Yeah! Everyone needs some orchids, sundews, pings, broms and tillandsias in their nepenthes collection :p.

rl7836: That's the tillandsia bulbosa! The tags on the plants indicate that they bought a handful off of a specialty brom/tilly grower here in CA, which totally rocks my world. I was walking through as they had just pulled the rack out from the back to set up and hadn't even set it in it's final display, so hopefully they haven't been pawed at by dirty hands and caught whatever pests run rampant on the rest of home depot plants yet.

That's T. bulbosa, I think. I want it...
Great find!
~Joe

that t. bulbosa is the coolest thing! i have to have one :p great find!

seedjar & blokeman: it's also the biggest one I've ever seen in my life so I couldn't help but buy it, my poor credit card!

It's very colorful, too... a really, really nice find. The only ones I've seen up close had relatively plain coloration - that typical Tillandsia green/blue.
~Joe

I don't even like Tilandsias and I like that Bulbosa! :D

Well...in that case, more pics for some scale - mind you, I don't have particularly small hands either!

P1050001.jpg

P1050002.jpg

It's got red coated flexible wire around it for display/hanging.

That thing's awesome!

The wire seems to match perfectly and "vanish" into the tendrils ("leaves")?. It'd be cool to see all those Tilandsias mounted on a nice piece of driftwood.

I don't know .... that thing looks a lot like critters from old 'B' horror movies - might give me nightmares knowing it was out there .... :jester:

I wonder if yours is a special color form of T. bulbosa? All the ones I've found for sale since seeing yours are just green. :(

Home Depot you say ill have to give em a look today wow thats nice

...and, I bought more today cuz I have a plant problem :-O

P1100003.jpg

top shelf left to right: t. intermedia, t.streptophylla, t.tenuifolia, t.ionantha, t.brachycaulos
lower shelf left to right: t.butzii, t.bulbosa, t.graomogolensis, t.reichenbachii

A lot of them have several pups that I want to figure out how to break up and trade away. I looked at the tags of the usual green monochromic tillys and these, and they all appear to come from the same greenhouse. I guess these are a "special" promo because they've got some interesting shapes and colors (a lot of them are in bloom) to them and are a little larger than the usual grab-bag.

(and the bulbosa is still my favorite too)

Beautiful tillandsias, I wish our local carried this kind of plants.... Thanks for sharing!

Think of me, please, if you do get some pups to trade.

Back