What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Epiphytic Fern??? ~ Help ID Please

Got this the other day from a guy at a farmers market
But the only info I could get from him was "Fern that grows on tree no dirt" & "Keep wet"
So from that & the looks of it I'll say it's an Epiphytic / LOL

I've been GOOGLE imaging Epiphytic Fern
But haven't had any luck finding anything that looks like it
{Not a 100% sure that it's a type of fern?}

Mounded it & have it in my greenhouse
But would like to know exactly what it is so I can provide it with the proper growing conditions

Anyone know or have any ideas on what it is / could be

Photos~
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/578012036oLYdSi

Thanx
DC

Weird. It doesn't look like a true fern to me - more like some strange sort of gymnosperm (conifer.) Probably something far-flung from most of the widespread conifers. It reminds me of my old Woolemi Pine, except it's not tree-shaped.
~Joe

Yeah, it does have that pine look to it

The guy I got it from said they were ferns, but he didn't know the name of them / He was kind of hard to understand
Didn't look much like a fern to me, but it was cool looking so I got one

If you look at the back part of it, it looks like it was peeled off of a tree/something

Well, there are a lot of things called ferns that are actually flowering plants. The Asparagus Fern is actually just a species of Asparagus with very fine leaves. I know there are other common examples but I don't remember them... :p Anyways, if you can find a common name at least it will probably be much easier to identify. You might try posting on a more general-purpose growing forum, like Dave's Garden.
~Joe

Got It

It's Huperzia Squarrosa / Lycopodium Squarrosum / Rock Tassel Fern
&
It Is In The Club Moss Family

Thanx For The Help / Very Much Appreciated

DC

Neat and a good size too! Anytime I've seen Lycopodiums available they've been very high priced and usually just one little piece of a strand, not a nice clump like you've got. Good find!

I like the Stapelia flavopurpurea in your photo album. I received one earlier this year but no sign of a flower yet.

Last edited:
I like the Stapelia flavopurpurea in your photo album. I received one earlier this year but no sign of a flower yet.

Thanx / I think it's one of the more interesting looking ones
Unfortunately it's the only one I don't have a ton of
&
It does seem to grow slower then my other ones

---------- Post added at 09:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 AM ----------

Neat and a good size too! Anytime I've seen Lycopodiums available they've been very high priced and usually just one little piece of a strand, not a nice clump like you've got. Good find!

It's the first time I've seen anyone selling it
Didn't know what it was, but I knew I didn't have one so I Had To buy one / Sure You Know How That Goes / LOL

Now that I know what it is & have done some research on it I think I have the perfect growing environment for it so I'm going to try to get some more
Want to line the bottom of the shelf in the back of my greenhouse with it / It's a wood shelf so it should provide the shade it needs

If anyone is interested in trading anything for some LMK by Thursday & I will try to pick up some extra ones "If I Can"

Back