What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help, new bromeliad

I got a bromeliad from safeway. Any pointers? I know they like sunlight, and slightly damp soil. I am not sure wat kind it is. It has a orange crown of leaves in the center.

I keep mine somewere between light and shade, and poor some water in it every week or 2.
They often get rlly dry before i remember to water them and they are doing fine.

Do an image search for Guzmania, which is one genus of bromeliad, and see if that's what you have. It's almost certainly an unnamed hybrid, since that's what the mass-market nurseries tend to produce.

As for growing them, I never made any effort to water the soil and just poured some water into the "cup" of the plant when it seemed to be getting dry. Moist soil is helpful when they're growing roots, but otherwise their roots mostly seem to be designed for holding them upright, not for collecting water or nutrients. The leaves do most of that. As for light, strong, direct sun can be too much for them, so be cautious.

It seems to like the conditions I give it because it has a pup now 1 inch high.

Brom's pup after flowering, then the main plant dies. You don't have to do anything though, leave the old rosette in place and the pups will use the nutrients to continue to grow. The main plant will eventually wither away, and when the pups crowd you can divide them.

it usually takes a while, one of my broms took about a year to die, and made 4 pups eventually.

I just got it a month ago. Do they die that fast?

Possibly, at the flower shops over here they get new broms allrdy flowering and some will take months to sell.

They need as much light as a conventonal hoseplant and they can tolerate long droughts. Very hardy plant.

They aren't hardy as in being able to survive deep freezes, but they're durable.

Glad I found this thread...I was wondering why mine was starting to whither away but still get another "off shoot"

Nice, threw out some ugly brom a few weeks ago, it had a 5 inch pup.
I janked it out with a lot of force and just lay it on a pot in my terrarium, its doing rlly well :p

It still only has 1 pup. Is there a problem or am I impatient?

impatient :p
Broms are really slow.

Back