User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My first attempt at a Pineapple!!!

A leuco by any other name would still be as gluttonous. CorneliusSchrute's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too, root pineapple in water. Roots grow quickly for me in a southern window sill, both with and without direct light. Once the roots are about an inch long (usualy less than a month from what I remember), I pot them in a sandy mix and give them as much direct light as possible. I have had them make new leaves about a foot or so long--many of them--but never had them flower or produce fruit. I usually just grow them to this point and give them away as gifts.

Try water rooting and a ton of direct light and see wha you get. I am thinking supplementing light in the winter would yield fruit within a couple of years.
    Corey Bennett

My cultivated vegetation, carnivorous and otherwise...

Formerly cbennett4041

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never heard of this pineapple propagation method. I think I'll try it and see if I can clone Pineapple! (Don't worry--I won't chop off the top of your head. I have other methods. ) All joking aside, I'll try this! I've always wanted to try growing a pineapple.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a pineapple is mature enough and is refusing to flower; put an apple in the middle of the brom/pineapple and bag it up/ or cover it with a bag. The gasses produced by the maturing apple will cause the pineapple to enter a blooming mood. This also works for all kinds of other bromeliads. BTW pineapples are not one of the bromeliads that hold water so water it directly into the potting mix when it is potted

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's how I do it and it works like a charm.

I remove all the fruit until I reach the hard core then I remove a few layer of the older leave and put the plant in water until it root.

Pineapple rooting setup par Shoggoths, sur Flickr

Rooted pineapple par Shoggoths, sur Flickr

You can get a fruit with a lot of direct South sun which my house lack

Sorry for the late reply, I had to wait for it to root.

Tks for the insight JMN

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12