What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first attempt at a Pineapple!!!

• Thread starter tje25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow

tje25

Plant Addict!!
I finally went and got a pineapple today!!! I have always wanted to grow one, but I just found out that you could propagate one from the top of it!

Now I've read that you should dry it for a week or so from some sources, and that you can plant it right away from other sources. So I decided to try it right away without drying it this time around.

Here are some pics of it;

DSC03393.jpg

DSC03394.jpg

I look forward to watching this thing grow :)

Thanks for looking!

I tried this too, I planted mine like 4 years ago but nothing has happened yet. Like literally only 4 leaves have grown....

OH WELL! Maybe you'll have more luck.

I finally went and got a pineapple today!!! I have always wanted to grow one, but I just found out that you could propagate one from the top of it!

Now I've read that you should dry it for a week or so from some sources, and that you can plant it right away from other sources. So I decided to try it right away without drying it this time around.

Here are some pics of it;

DSC03393.jpg

DSC03394.jpg

I look forward to watching this thing grow :)

Thanks for looking!

I just got a pineapple and instead of planting it, i put the top in water :p
I can see that roots are starting to form and will have a plant soon! Did you know that you can get pineapple seeds too? Each diamond looking part of the outside is the remnants of a flower and if you dig in a little you can find seeds :)

I tried this a while ago but mold took mine :(

Thanks Everyone! @Zacham3- I did know that, but I believe they only produce seeds if they get pollinated. From what I have read I think the fruit is much better if its not pollinated.

The fruit I had was pollinated and it was the sweetest pineapple I've ever had :)
Just thought I would throw it out there lol

I have about ten pineapple tops currently rooting right now, and all but the three newest ones have taken root. I do it in water because when I did it in soil, all they did was turn brown and the bottom where roots would have grown got really moldy.

Make sure you keep them in bright light in a warm place. I mean like outside sunlight, not window light. Mine did nothing for more than a month when sitting in the brightest window of my house. When I moved them outside, it will still winter and two of the four died. When it warmed up and the greenhouse was getting in the 90s during the day with super bright light, they started to root. Now every single one I stick out there takes root quickly. Just make sure its warm and very brightly lit.

I started my first one back in November in a vase of water. It has taken until now to make about 10, 3" roots. Don't expect it to root quickly. I haven't seen any growth in mine for a month... Not sure what's happening. It is growing some new leaves, so hopefully that will make everything grow quicker. I just have no clue when to transplant it into soil though lol.

Are there any updates??

I too, root pineapple in water. Roots grow quickly for me in a southern window sill, both with and without direct light. Once the roots are about an inch long (usualy less than a month from what I remember), I pot them in a sandy mix and give them as much direct light as possible. I have had them make new leaves about a foot or so long--many of them--but never had them flower or produce fruit. I usually just grow them to this point and give them away as gifts.

Try water rooting and a ton of direct light and see wha you get. I am thinking supplementing light in the winter would yield fruit within a couple of years.

I've never heard of this pineapple propagation method. I think I'll try it and see if I can clone Pineapple! (Don't worry--I won't chop off the top of your head. I have other methods. ;)) All joking aside, I'll try this! I've always wanted to try growing a pineapple.

When a pineapple is mature enough and is refusing to flower; put an apple in the middle of the brom/pineapple and bag it up/ or cover it with a bag. The gasses produced by the maturing apple will cause the pineapple to enter a blooming mood. This also works for all kinds of other bromeliads. BTW pineapples are not one of the bromeliads that hold water so water it directly into the potting mix when it is potted:)

Here's how I do it and it works like a charm.

I remove all the fruit until I reach the hard core then I remove a few layer of the older leave and put the plant in water until it root.

Pineapple rooting setup par Shoggoths, sur Flickr

Rooted pineapple par Shoggoths, sur Flickr

You can get a fruit with a lot of direct South sun which my house lack :(

Sorry for the late reply, I had to wait for it to root.

Tks for the insight JMN

Back