What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This Bromeliad has me stumped

My mom gave this to me a few months ago. She had it at her work and it wasn't getting enough care. I had it inside for a while and it was doing okay but took up t so I had to move it outside. One day I noticed it had brown patches all over the leaves so I thought it was too hot. Moved it into a shade place. It's looking better now bit still not growing much.
IMAG0443_zps5e223e3e.jpg

IMAG0444_zps4c159047.jpg

IMAG0445_zps50236989.jpg

I added the rocks on the top to try and boost the humidity a little bit. I don't know what kind of bromeliad it is but I do know it is a tropical variety and flowers yellow. Any ideas on what I can do for it? Thanks.

The spots look like sunburn to me. As for raising humidity why would rocks raise the humidity? I think you're better off filling a tray below it with water to raise humidity, but I wouldn't let it sit in the water. Maybe give it some sort of supplemental lighting. Hope that helps.

I had a tray under when it was inside but I never noticed any difference in hunidity levels unless I actively had a cooler blowing into the pan. I was mainly thinking the rocks would help to capture surface moisture around the plant. They are porous pearl stones. Probably not doing much.

I too thought it was sunburn but it also kind of looks like dollar apots but no red aroumd the apots as is usually seen. I can't really add much supplemental lighting to It unless I move it inside and I don't have any room.

This looks a lot like my poor pineapple plant, so if you figure it out I'd be interested to know too!

Well, I have an easy way to test if its a potassium deficiency as I have fresh tomatoes ready to squeeze. Will keep you posted.

Edit: actually, the plant food I give it monthly has potash in it so I doubt it is a potassium deficiency.

Last edited:
I spray my broms in my terrarium twice a day. Try that.

I spray it whenever I remember to.... I have it outside on my table on a shady patio. I don't think spraying helps much in that scenario. A terrarium would help, but I don't have anything I can put it in.

Back