User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Bromeliads- How are mine doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of them look to small to remove. But what I do is I leave the oldest pup on and remove the rest when they are large enough to grow well on their own. It allows the mother to use all of her energy on that one pup only rather than 3 or 4.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or 7 haha.
    I think 7 might be too much for one plant. maybe not all will make it. one of the newest pups is tiny and looks nothing like the rest. very thin leaves like Tillandsia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're very hardy, I would think they should all make it, they just may grow a fair bit slower.
    That should be a grass pup, they take a while longer to achieve maturity that the others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    o so there is even a term for those? what makes them different from the normal broad leafed pups? why are their leaves so narrow?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my Guzmania mother plant is almost all gone, but all of the pups except for one dried up too?
    did i make a mistake when i put in water into the cups of the pups? I won't do that anymore if that is why they are dying. It looked like half of the pups started to rot from the center and half dried up in the center. really confusing.
    One of the large pups is still alive and well.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The above is all that I did to separate my bromeliad pups from their mother plant. The mother is starting to turn yellow, but all the pups are still living. If you did what I showed in the video (the really basic way to do it), then how much water/light were yours getting? Many bromeliads can take full sun and like warm temperatures. I grow all of mine on the floor of my greenhouse where it gets down to near the outside air temperature on winter nights (30 degree range) and they're fine. They're usually quite a hardy plant.

Could you detail your exact growing conditions for us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maybe they were not getting enough light. i am overwintering my plants indoors in a room with East facing windows. not too much light. i also setup a small LED light above them(not really above them, its above a large hibiscus plant so the guzmania and all my other plants only get side light) to help out but it doesn't cover a large area. (the LED fixture used to be on an aquarium before. it's 20W 7000K.)
    I water their soil anytime it gets too dry. and i used to put water in the cups every week because it would evaporate out in a bout a week. i only use distilled water with my bromeliads. I used to even rinse out the cup but i neglected doing that for maybe 2 months. perhaps another problem. I also mist them with DI water every few days.
    soil is orchid bark mixed with peat and perlite. very well draining. 1:1:1 ratio.

they were doing great up until maybe 3 weeks ago when i first noticed the pups turning brown. i stopped putting water into the cups, so hopefully one of them will survive. the surviving pup still looks green in the center.

haha nice vid!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post

The above is all that I did to separate my bromeliad pups from their mother plant. The mother is starting to turn yellow, but all the pups are still living. If you did what I showed in the video (the really basic way to do it), then how much water/light were yours getting? Many bromeliads can take full sun and like warm temperatures. I grow all of mine on the floor of my greenhouse where it gets down to near the outside air temperature on winter nights (30 degree range) and they're fine. They're usually quite a hardy plant.

Could you detail your exact growing conditions for us?
    Great video~
    I'm going to try to take my pups off the mother plant today since I saw this!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast