User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Bromeliads- How are mine doing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to Bromeliads- How are mine doing?

Hi,

I recently started to grow plants, beginning with an Aechmea bromeliad. It's a hybrid cultivar called "haiku". Since I got it, it has grown a little more roots, and a few leaves.
    I made some mistakes with it like putting an osmocote granule into its cup for a few months. only recently have i rinsed it out of there due to reading that it was bad!

I have some concerns - 1st the leaf tips on the older leaves are getting necrotic/brown/scorched/dry. i don't know how to describe it. 2nd the older leaves are quickly drying out and dying, so i have been cutting them off. idk where to cut, am i doing the right thing? 3rd i don't know how much to water it - i always keep distilled water in it's central cup, mist it whenever i remember, and i watered the pot like a month ago and the soil is still moist? that strikes me as odd, shouldn't it dry out? or is water escaping the cup and running down into the soil? 4th is fertilizing, since now i can't keep the fert granule in the cup, i put about 4-5 of the little granules in the pot around the plant. is that enough? Soil is mixed from 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite, and 1/3 orchid bark. seems to work.

Lastly the plant has been growing on a window sill that get nice full sun for a few hours a day in the summer. but now that it's cold and fall season is starting, I moved all of my indoor plants that were outside in doors, and placed them under one 20W LED fixture (a fixture that was previously on a planted aquarium). one of the plants is a hibiscus bush, and i placed the bromeliad in the branches so that i could get the light from the fixture. there is also some light from the windows, but it's not on a windowsill so it much less than before. Is the lighting ok? how can i tell?

I'll post some pics of the plant shortly to explain what i mean.

I also got a Guzmania hybrid from Home Depot 3 months ago! I'll get a pic of that too. that one has it's own set of problems and concerns.
    Any help is greatly appreciated! sorry for the essay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here are the promised pictures.

Aechmea on the Hibiscus bush:

Aechmea overhead pic:

Nothing is rotting in the cup right? Looks healthy to me:

Side:

Necrotic leaf tip (what's causing this?) compared to healthy leaf. the black coloration is natural:

Base. Is it normal to have old leaves dry up fast and then should they be cut off like this or even more so?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also here is my Guzmania.
    Some of the same issues.

Whole plant.(There is some yellow light in this photo, so that's not the plant's leaves that are yellow, its just the lighting) It has 7 pups so far:

Oldest leaves are turning yellow and then drying out and rotting off at the base. I pull on them and they come off without any force. what is causing this? is it normal?

Oldest leaves are changing color from dark green to very dark green-blue and feel wilted to the touch right before they start to yellow out and die. of course there are smoe necrotic leaf tips on some older leaves too:

This plant has flowered for a long time, and its inflorescence is starting to dry up now.
    Any tips with this Guzmania? i also put osmocote granules in the central cup of this one. i don't remember if i was able to wash those out. it gets distilled water same as the other one. should i fertilize the soil around it with more granules? or mix liquid fertilizer in a bottle and spray with that sometimes? I have some aquatic plant fertilizer from my keeping of planted tanks.

Thanks for any help guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also let me know if the photos are not showing for any reason...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking Aechmea, not sure what is causing the tips to die, I've never experienced that before. It is normal fortune old leaves to die and dry up though, I usually wait for them to dry off completely and then just pull them off.

The Guzmania is dying, pretty much all bromeliads will die after flowering, they will start to produce pups though like ours has so you can propagate it and continue to grow it, it's normal for it to begin deteriorating now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ah ok, i see about the Guzmania. i though that it might not have enough light or something and was yellowing leaves because of that and maybe overwatering. but it sounds like it's behaving normally.
    yeah I am going to try and leave the Guzmania pups alone as long as I can so that they grow in quicker.

How would i know if I overwatered my plant? or over fertilized it?

you would say that everything so far looks ok on these broms?
    Last edited by Newman; 10-24-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what an over watered brom would look like, I assume it would start to die from the center? I have never had a problem with overwatering, the soil looks very loose and well draining so it shouldn't be a problem anyway unless you have them sitting in water. The one time I had an over fertilized brom I had a heap of cook manure accidentky dropped in the cup and the new growth got burnt.

They both look fairly healthy to me, you could remove all of the pups but one on the Guzmania and that one should mature faster and grow larger than the rest or if they had all been left on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you're saying it may be time to divide out some of the pups? the larger ones i assume. or should i wait until the mother plant dies completely and cut her off and then divide the pups up?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast