User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which bromeliad for bathroom window?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah i have an aechmea "haiku" and its super spiny. i think i would not be able to use it as an aerial plant and hang one in my bathroom.

You do not think that butzii would work?
    i'm going to try cyanea too. I'll attach to a tiny piece of bark and hang it from the ceiling, so that it's in the window light.

This is why cryptanthus would not work - it's need for soil.
    Fire ball is awesome! it'll work with low light? it's a red plant so i assumed it needs high light?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Newman View Post
    yeah i have an aechmea "haiku" and its super spiny. i think i would not be able to use it as an aerial plant and hang one in my bathroom.

You do not think that butzii would work?
    i'm going to try cyanea too. I'll attach to a tiny piece of bark and hang it from the ceiling, so that it's in the window light.

This is why cryptanthus would not work - it's need for soil.
    Fire ball is awesome! it'll work with low light? it's a red plant so i assumed it needs high light?
    T. butzii would probably persist for a while but not really thrive-usually the thinner and more filiform the leaves on a bromeliad, the most light it generally expects. If you recooperated it in better light every so often, it might survive long-term. The N. 'Fireball' colors up like that only with really good light, and may remain green if it's only getting sideways indirect light. It's a fantastic, vigorous, and most importantly small plant. However, it has a really cool form and I would still recommend it even if you can't get it to turn red.

The coolest plant of all, if you can give it enough light, would be Tillandsia duratii because it actually makes no roots whatsoever. In my greenhouse I have it twisted onto a piece of wire and hung straight in the ceiling, no soil or anything. Needs a decent amount of light though. Just google some pics of it. The leaves are crazily spiraled and they grab on to everything.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.rainforestflora.com/ is a good place to get Tillys from. I hope it's OK to post since they don't have CPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is one funky plant!

i think i'll try the fireball! thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried growing some Tillandsias in the bathroom. I thought the additional humidity from people showering would help the plants. However, they kept dieing. My water is softened by using salt. I suspect the salt in the air from the softened water wasn't good for the Tillandsias I had. However, I'm sure there are Tillandisas that grow in coastal areas so I expect salty air wouldn't be bad- at least not for all of them. However, I don't know how the salty air (or fog?) in a coastal area compares to the salty air in a bathroom after taking a shower with softened water. Maybe the softened water wasn't the problem and the Tillandsias needed more care than I gave them. I'm not sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12