What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are tillansia carnivorous?

Hi,
I have heard some theories and ideas, ect. that tillandsia are carnivorous. Its known that the well in their leafs collect leaves ect. and break them down and absorb them. Now, I would like to hear other peoples view on this. Personally I dont think they are truly carnivorous, but of some other order. Well, lets hear yours!
Kevin

They're often regarded as semi-carnivorous, as they generally don't try to attract prey, but use the bodily parts and processes of things living in their pools. There are a couple varieties though that attract bugs by scent.

well not tilladsias , htey could'nt be carnivorous but a few bromeliads are considered . brochinnia and catopsis bromeliads have been known to be SEMI carnivorous . they have a sweet smelling aroma that attracts bugs , the bugs go to the leaves , slip and fall because there some type of wax on the keaf , and falls into the well , dies and is abosrbed my bacteria in the well .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (goldtrap2690 @ May 07 2003,2:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">well not tilladsias , htey could'nt be carnivorous...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
how could they not be carnivorous? I believe that they are.

Tillandsia Are Not Carnivorous.
They absorb water and nutrients through the epidermal hairs/scales on thier leaves.
smile.gif

Well have heard 2 sides to the story and im still stcking with not carnivorous!! I truly don't think they are.
Kevin

So the obvious follow-up question, then, is why does everybody group them with CPs in their collections? It was enough to make me wonder if they might be carnivorous, just by association.

They are what many call companion plants.
They grow well in similar conditions but offer the grower some variety in plant material.
Not to mention they are just another oddity of the plant world
and i dont know about you but i can never resist the weird.
biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">and i dont know about you but i can never resist the weird.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, i guess that pretty well explains my experiences with the opposite sex to date.
wow.gif

Thanks for the clarification.

Anyone got a piccy of one of these plants you are talking about. I'd like to see - They sound interesting!!!
biggrin.gif

This is one of my favorites, pretty easy to grow, but then they all are.
anw00100.jpg

These are great too, even more impressive when you see a whole colony, they look like a huge mat of pure silver hair.
anw00375.jpg

FWIW
biggrin.gif

Back