What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T. bulbosa

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I recently purchased two T. bulbosa plants from a local arts festival. The plants are doing well, but I did not opt for the optional bases the place was selling.

What are the best ways to secure the plant to a hard suface? What types of wood, rock, etc are the best and what should be avoided.

Thanks,

Nick
confused.gif

Nick I have read and tried all sorts of glues, hot glue, silicon, etc. I didn't find one that was satisfactory as they all peeled away eventually and the plant came loose. Someone else may have found different results from products that you might be able to get in the US?

What I do now (I have several hundred Tillandsias) is wire them onto wherever I want them to stay. This can look a bit unsightly to start with but after a while the roots grow onto the wood and I remove the wire.

Cheers, Troy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (fatboy @ June 22 2003,5:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nick I have read and tried all sorts of glues, hot glue, silicon, etc. I didn't find one that was satisfactory as they all peeled away eventually and the plant came loose. Someone else may have found different results from products that you might be able to get in the US?

What I do now (I have several hundred Tillandsias) is wire them onto wherever I want them to stay. This can look a bit unsightly to start with but after a while the roots grow onto the wood and I remove the wire.

Cheers, Troy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Tim uses some weird stuff. it's yellowish and bubbly
confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Spectabilis73 @ June 23 2003,05:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tim uses some weird stuff. it's yellowish and bubbly
confused.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Most likely a sealant foam. Anyhow, for me, hot glue works great! In fact, I recently mounted a new bulbosa, (aren't they awesome?
smile.gif
) using hotglue. My favorite thing to mount them to is grapevine, IMO. Welcome to the realm of tillandsias!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

Thanks for all the info. Right now they are sitting on the top shelf of my growth chamber and not attached to anything. I need to find something to attach them to.

Fortunately where I live is like a big terrarium so I can grow all mine outside. I went to the beach (maybe you call it the seashore?) and found some old bleached tree stumps and I grow mine on that.

Grapevine is hard to get here but I have seen pics and lithopsman suggestion is excellent as it looks very cool, all gnarled and twisted.

I too tried hotglue but 1. I was worried that the temp would damage the plant, expecially if you put the hot glue right on the base where the plant grows from. 2. All the ones I did here peeled away after a few weeks out in the sun and rain.
Like I said earlier, maybe the glue is different in the US, and it might work better if the plant is not as exposed as mine are?

Good luck Nick, cheers Troy.

Has anyone used liquid nails to hold the plants? I came across a website suggesting it be used to secure plants. Right now mine are just sitting on my Nepenthes. I had thought about growing them in the urns of my N. ventrata.

I saw liquid nails used by a local grower. He has since stopped using it for some reason. I can only guess that it wasn't too good for the plants.

Sorry about the bad graphics of the diagram, it was only to show how I do this... If you need me to explain anything else, feel free to ask!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

click here for a diagram of how I mount tillandsias

Sorry about the e after month, unfortunately, I'm to lazy to redo and reload, it took forever to load...
rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif
wow.gif
tounge.gif

Back