Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bromeliads sold in pft

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking about purchasing some Bromeliads, but I would need some pictures, and I was wondering if they have spikes, Some Bromeliads have spikes on the leaf and will be dangerous in my vivarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could try
    http://www.fcbs.org/pictures.htm
    It has photos of nearly every type of bromeliad. I think the guzmania should be quite safe as the leaves are softer, greener and normally don't have spikes.
    Hope this helps, Neil.
    A 'pitcher gallery' is where the art is drawn by Mother Nature and a 'pitcher says a thousand words'.
    My pitcher gallery is at: http://community.webshots.com/user/neilsingapore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hm......i tried looking for them, but I guess they didn't have the bromelaid, cause I couldn't find the name. Maybe I did something wrong, but I can't see their name on the list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that the Aechmea Morgana that PFT sells IS safe for a vivarium. They have a smooth leaf and should not be a problem. We have had several people who have reptiles purchase these from PFT.
    The Ananas Sugarloaf however has a sawtooth leaf and may not work for you.
    Both plants are quite nice and about 12" tall. They are a great value! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

The opinions expressed here are not necessarily those of the management. And the management will be happy to hear that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got to agree with linda , they are great plants and a great value too , i recieved my 2 bromeliads from the sale today , they were bigger then i thought , i think phil had a hard time finding a box to fit my bromeliads in [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] , too bad i could'nt recieved both aechema and ananas , my 2 aechema ( not sure , they were'nt labeled but as linda described it it sounds like this one ) will be sitting outside on my patio , how much light , water and humidty should i give them btw .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will vary, but I have found that the one I received from Phil if happier under wrap and in 70 humidity.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of mix did you guys pot them up in?
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't worry too much about the mix/ media, they don't care as long as it drains well. MOST are epiphytic and only use their roots to grip and hold on and it doesn't make any difference. If you try and plant them in soil that doesn't drain they'll rot at the base and you'll lose them, other than that you can use charcoal, bark chips, broken pottery chips, whatever turns you on.

I have created huge beds in my garden for my Broms and I use pure wood shavings and they are extremely happy. Look for yourself:
    My Brom garden

cheers, Troy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast