What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bromeliads

Wesley

God must have an interesting sense of humor
The Bromeliads at lowes, are they good begginer(sp?) Bromeliads? My mom is wanting one, and I want to get her one for Christmas. They are dirt cheap, and I also need some growing instuctions.

Yes, they are usually good beginner plants. Leep the mix just moist, and water in the center of the vase of leaves. Mist at will. Give them good light with some direct sun to keep them typical. Once they flower most rosettes start looking ratty, and they die, but dont discard the plant: it will form pups at the sides. Leave these attached until about 1/3 the size of the original, and then divide them, keeping some roots on each division. Repeat ad infinitum.

When you say water the center of the "vase" do mean always water the plant wher the new leaves come out?

Hi, always keep the centre of the plant where the new leaves emerge from  (forms a 'vase') topped up with water and the soil(compost) just moist only.
Bromeliads are generally easy plants to grow and as Tamlin said, the good part is that you buy one beautiful plant with flower and end up with 3 or 4 new plants about a year later at no extra cost!
The challenge of course is then to get them to flower!
Happy growing, Neil.

Why do you have to keep water in the crown at all times?

Because that's how they like it!
No, seriously, this is how they grow in the wild. Their roots are generally small and more for anchorage rather than water uptake.
biggrin.gif

happy growing, Neil

So, I finally got two today(they were out for Christmas), and I was wondering about what kind of soil to plant them in when I eventually pot the "pups".

Most people recommend a mixture of peat moss and sand,  which allows for a well draining mix. Bromeliads don't like very wet soil.
For me personally, I use 100% long fibre spagnum moss and I have had no problems. I use this for all my bromeliads except the 'succulent/spiny ones'. Even my cryptanthus (earth stars) do well in spagnum moss.
See my 2 bromeliad albums.
http://community.webshots.com/user/neilsingapore
Happy growing, Neil.
biggrin.gif

ok. thanks. What about lighting, would a northwest facing window work? or does it need more than that?

Most bromeliads like indirect light or partial weak sunlight only. If they sit in direct sun too long and the humidity is low the tips of the leaves will go brown (low humidity) and there will be dark patches on the leaves if it gets "burnt" (too much direct sun).
Not being from USA I can't say whether you position is good. Does it get strong direct sun, because behind glass it would feel even hotter ?
Happy growing, Neil
smile.gif

no it does not get direct sunlight. It gets probably the last hr-3hrs of sun light, and the rest of the day it gets very faded sun and a little from the kitchen lights.

Back