User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seedling p lusitanica

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a number of seedlings of P. lusitanica that have sprouted, and they are begininng to crowd each other in the pot. The largest are about 1/2" across, smaller ones about 1/4". Are they big enough to separate out into individual pots, or should I bother? Will the crowding be harmful? I'm not sure how tolerant this species is to handling, especially when small. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have p. lusitanica all over the place. Near as I can tell, they are the d. capensis of pinguicula. I have 'em growing in drosera pots, in utric pots, even in nep pots. Everything on the shelf below the p. lusitanica and everything near to it on it's shelf. I don't think one has ever died.

I say thin the herd! Thin it out before it's too late and we're all consumed!

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Sep. 19 2005,10:58)]I have p. lusitanica all over the place. Near as I can tell, they are the d. capensis of pinguicula.
    I can attest to that.. after he had enough of them he spread them to me and its never stopped flowering/seeding since. I wouldnt worry about a few losses with this one.. you are sure to have plenty of replacements soon enough.

Cheers
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a general rule of thumb, when I move a plant, I first prepare the new pot and create a depression in it to place the plant. I use a plastic spoon and try to move the plant and media, such that roots won't be disturbed. In other words, I try to move a plant without it being aware it has been moved. After placing it in the depression, I try to delicately move more media to provide contact. I then water it ro help with contact.

As Max and Steve have indicated, this species is very prolific and a few losses, as they can become a thick aggregation, isn't significant. On the other hand, moving a P. primuliflora isn't quite as easy as a transition, because of their root devlopment. Mexican pings don't have nearly as much root development and are very easy to transfer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all. I'll prepare a few pots and move some of them and see. Wasn't aware of how apparently hardy these little guys can be. Honestly I probably coddle all my plants too much (when I'm home).