What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"the little home depot ping that could"

I adopted this Ping from Home Depot a few months back and it has been growing under compact flourescents in my collection since then. I'm still not sure what kind of Ping it is, so if anyone could help me out with the name I'd greatly appreciate it
smile.gif

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

You'll need a flower to have a chance to determine the identity with any certainty. But an observation of your images gives a strong indication that it is most likely a Mexican species, hybrid, or cultivar.

Good job with the cultivation. There's nothing like fluorescents to create robust, well-shaped and colored Pinguicula plants.

Ok, thanks PingMan. Hopefully I'll get it to flower in the coming months so it can be I.D.'d.

I'm jealous, my home depot ping isn't as pretty. It's big and green, had a purplish flower. I believe it is some kind of Moranesis hybrid. But that is one pretty ping!

Very nice ping. My home depot doesn't sell them, only the occasional nep, sarr and drosera.

I love the great coloration.

smile_k_ani_32.gif
WOW!! LLeopardGGecko that is a very very beautiful plant.. Must be nice to be able to find such awsome plants at your Home Depot, mine dont carry no CP plants of any type..
smile_h_32.gif
smile_h_32.gif

well if its the same one i got from HD its some Mexi hybrid. easy to grow but not as free flowering as some of my other hybrids. only seems to get one flower in the pot at a time even though i have a half dozen different plants in the same pot.

here is my mexican ping. from home depot. obviously it does not get as much light as yours, but its growing pretty well.
i heard some discussion about standing this plant in water.? well mine is replanted in 2:1 peat/perlite. it looks a little watterlogged, is this alright?
very nice plant by the way

Nice plant LLeopard! Beautiful color.
smile.gif
I have never seen anything but primuliflora sold in hardware stores or greenhouses. Hmmm...may have to go check around since I suffered heavy ping losses over the summer.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]well if its the same one i got from HD its some Mexi hybrid.

Rattler,

Do you get it from the HD in Billings?  I check throughout the growing season and have yet to see any butterworts.  Lowes got some in, but they looked like P. lusitanica.

Brian

I have to post an updated picture of this plant soon. Since I started this thread, my ping has split into three different plants!

Now it's the "little Home Depot pings that can"
smile_n_32.gif

Back