Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two p.moranensis varieties

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posted a while ago that my P.moranensis var 'fraser red' and P.moranensis var 'huahuapan' just came out of dormancy. I've got a problem now.

The P.moranensis var 'fraser red' went back to producing non-carnivorous leaves! What should I do?

The P.moranensis var 'huahuapan' is flowering. Should I cut the flower off? My husband is saying that it can die after flowering or it ends up splitting into two smaller and weaker plants. I know it is not true with P.x"Sethos" but wonder if it is true for P.moranensis.

It is unnerving to cultivate Pings here 'cos they don't do really well. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only been cultivating these fascinating plants for just under a year and in conditions much different from yours, but in my experience Mexican Pinguicula will often shift in and out of winter foliage with seemingly no rhyme or reason. Reduced photoperiods, accidental dry spells, sudden temperature changes and any combination thereof may play a part in the production of winter foliage.

It is also my experience that any reasonably healthy plant can be allowed to flower without detrimental effects. If the apical meristem does split into two growing points (it does not always happen and is not always easy to predict), then yes, each rosette will be temporarily smaller than the original, but they are quick to gain in size.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My P. moranensis put out 3 flowers for me in the fall. None of them caused a split that I can see yet. And my P. 'Mola' did split into 4, it took about 4~5 months, but now all 4 plants are the size of the original plant before the split.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cindy,
    Purplexing that I see nothing in your posts to indicate your location, though you say that your location affects your cultivation of Mexican Pinguicula and other CP. Maybe you could add your location to your signature line?

As Ispahan has mentioned, Mexican Pinguicula, at least outside their native environment grow as they please, not usually as we would like. Despite this, they can do just fine.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't that the Cindy from Singapore?
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] Sorry, Pingman. I assume my name is synonymous with Singapore. Hehe. Singapore is warm and humid, all year round. Even during 'cool' (77degF) months now, it only gets more humid. Pinguicula rots easily here.
    Cindy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember Singapore, on my visits to the South Pacific and elsewhere, back in the mid-70's, it was one of the cleanest and most beautiful cities I'd seen anywhere.

I'm not sure I understand why Pinguicula are so troublesome for you. I'm in a desert where it is often warm, even indoors where I keep most of my CP and the air conditioning tries to keep it cool, but often loses. The ambient humidity can get very low there, but I find my Pinguicula grow best when I seal them in plastic bags where they experience warm temperatures and high humidity all year long, it is rare to lose one to the Pinguicula rots that are said predominantly to be transmitted by nematodes.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (PinguiculaMan @ Nov. 27 2005,9:35)]Cindy,
    Maybe you could add your location to your signature line?
    Shouldn't be necessary. Her profile clearly states her location.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast