Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ping grandiflora hibernaculae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi great masters of Ping growing,

Here in tropical Singapore, I find growing Pings rather challenging as high humidity tends to make Pings melt (at least for me). I know Cindy grows them very well, but she is in a class of her own. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

In september, I received hibernacula of Ping. grandiflora grandifora from a friend. This is what it looks like now:

It has been three months and I am just wondering if the development of the plant is ok or not. I know very little about this species and if someone could suggest a suitable potting mix, I would be most grateful. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Guqin

I also have a piece of hibernaculae of Ping. grandiflora. I have left it for 1 month. No progress yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jon, have you noticed any growth on your hibernacula yet? Mine seems to have three growth points but I was wondering if they are really slow growers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gugin, they absolutely require a full dormancy. You will probably have to wait for another month or even two before the sprouting. I see from your pic, you have one hibernaculum, and two gemmae. Yes, Pinguicula grandiflora produces gemmae, and they will grow when the time is right. Worry no more unless mold or fungus pays a visit!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But now would be a good time to repot it, since it doesn't have many roots when it's dormant. And as for soil, The Savage Garden says for temperate pings a mix of two parts peat, one part sand, and one part perlite. They seem to like rocky mixes.
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. I will let it sit near the window and hope that the temperature does not go up anymore! It has been cool here in Singapore (28 degrees Celsius) and I hope that it will survive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    28C? 28C!? That's more like what they experince in summer in Europe. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]
    The best you can do for it is putting it into a baggy with moist peat or Sphagnum moss and store it in the fridge for at least a month or two. Otherwise you may end up with dead plants and a very disapointed guqin. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    28 degrees C if I am lucky. Yesterday, it went up to 31. Oh oh. I better pack them up and put them into my wine chiller. Will 16 degrees C be somewhat more appropriate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast