What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Long?

glider14

Always a newbie
hello people,
i just ordered 3 small(they said 1/2 inch) P. Moranensis. I was wondering how long it might be until they are mature and start to flower? ill get pics when they come.
thanks
alex

Depends entirely on growing conditions (a wide spectrum of conditions are possible) - with the proper conditions you can expect to keep them that same size almost indefinitely. As environmental variables are adjusted more toward optimum the plants will respond accordingly. The best I’ve obtained, so far, is to go from leaf–pulling to flowering in about 3-4 months. One-half inch diameter is far from an initial leaf-pulling.

im sorry PinguiculaMan what do you mean by these statements
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]with the proper conditions you can expect to keep them that same size almost indefinitely
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The best I’ve obtained, so far, is to go from leaf–pulling to flowering in about 3-4 months. One-half inch diameter is far from an initial leaf-pulling.
(aparently its either a new seedling or a budded leaf pulling)
i know they would nevr be close to a leaf pulling now....you confuse me pingman
smile_n_32.gif
i plan on keeping them in my intermediete tank(65* night 70-75 day >80% humidity)

That it is even possible to maintain them for extended periods of time in a condition of arrested growth. Of course most growers would not endeavor to achieve such conditions. I sometimes use this technique to hold plantlets formed by leaf-pullings until I have the time and space to continue growing them to maturity. It is often possible to keep these small plantlets for 6 months or more without the need for any attention at all.

I am not personally familiar with growing CP, including Pinguicula in terraria. In earlier days I once grew many in greenhouses, but that is as close to terraria growing as I am familiar with. When I am propagating Mexican Pinguicula from leaf-pullings I use a 3-stage process.

Stage 1: During transplanting/replanting of established plants I remove most of the fully formed leaves and place them inside a ziploc bag on top of a dry folded paper towel, seal it, and place it in good light. In this stage plantlets form on the severed leaves. The only moisture is provided by the leaves themselves.

Stage 2: Once plantlets form on the leaves I distribute them on the surface of pots with moist media and place those pots into ziploc bags, into trays of similar pots and then under strong, cool-white fluorescent lighting. The humidity at this stage can be very high, but there is minimal intervention necessary at this stage. In this stage the small plantlets quickly grow larger and the "community pots" become quickly crowded with the developing plants.

Stage 3: Well developed plantlets are now transplanted to individual pots of appropriate size and media composition depending on the species or hybrid being grown also depending on the need for more propagating material some leaves can be removed from these plantlets and placed back into Stage 1. I maintain plants in this stage in shallow plastic trays containing an inch of water and refill them whenever the water level drops to where the trays appear dry, yet while the pots are still very wet. I give them strong cool-white fluorescent lighting (16 hour photoperiod). I keep them at temperatures in the human comfort zone. When the plants appear to slow their growth I fertilize them by lightly dusting them with dried, powdered, insects. In this stage the plants grow and flower on a regular cycle or randomly depending on the species or hybrid.

If I were limited to only one environmental condition that I could optimize I would choose lighting. I would position as many fluorescent lights as I could in the growing space and put them within an inch or two of the plants.

Back