What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping leaf cuttings

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I was taking leaf cuttings and one leaf broke into the white and green parts. I know that one sticks the white part of a whole leaf into the media, but if the two become separated, and both were placed in the media, what would likely happen? Would the white piece sprout a new plant? Would the green part sprout a new plant? Would they both fail because they need each other?

Might depend on the ping the leaf is off of. I have had plants form on the any part of the leaf (P. primulaflora) and others seem to sprout new plants only from the white part.

In particular, this was from the potosciensis you sent me about 15 months ago. I put both parts in the baggie, partiallly embedded.

The white part may still provide you with cuttings. I think the green part is unlikely to, but there is only one way to find out and it will do no harm, try it and see.

It has been my experience that when detached, the white part will often shrivel up into nothing while the green part will sometimes produce a plantlet or two, especially if it were broken off near to where it was attached to the white.  But so much of these wonderful plants seems to depend on individual growing conditions that I am willing to bet you could ask 20 different people and get 20 different answers...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I am willing to bet you could ask 20 different people and get 20 different answers...

Yup, but this one will show you pictures.

This is a leaf from my Pinguicula emarginata, broke off with no white part, figured I'd try it anyway. The result surprised me. I thought I may still get a plantlet on the edge, but not from the center of the leaf.

I always see Pings budding from the centers of leaves, on the green part. If there's a little white or some roots attached to a leaf, it seems to have a better chance of sprouting, but the new plantlets still appear to form on the surface of the leaf. Don't Drosera produce leaf buds from the glands/tentacles? It seems to me like this is true of Pinguicula as well - the buds emerge from the glandular portions of the carnivorous leaves. I've never had a chance to clone Pings that form hibernacula, so I don't know about the habits of non-carnivorous leaves. I'd be interested in seeing if someone could get buds from the non-glandular portions of carnivorous Ping leaves (on most species, the bottom side.)
~Joe

Dave, thank you for the visual!

Joe, From what I have read, only a few pings naturally produce plantlets from within the leaf itself - most notably the P. primuliflora. I think P. ionatha is another

i am going to try somthing. sine i have finally had sucess with ping pullings i am going to try to make slits along the leaf and see if they sprout up. wish me luck!
alex

Really jim? 'Cuz my jaumavensis x debbertiana did, as well as esseriana and moranensis. I always knew I was special!
~Joe

PS - After looking at a few cloning pictures, I think I know what you mean. Nevermind me, I'm off in my own little world...

Back