What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. 'Sethos'

Cindy

Staff member
I had a plant that went into the 'produce-only-non-carnivorous-leaves" stage...very careful here not to use the word dormancy... and all I had was 2-3 very tiny leaves left. Recently I looked into the pot and found this.

sethos200306lq.jpg

What is the plant doing? It may seems obvious that it is beginning to clump but what am I supposed to do with these very tiny clumps?
confused.gif
Should I wait for them to start growing their carnivorous leaves or should I attempt to separate them?

I'd let them grow a little more to make seperating them easier. But then I've got big fingers that tend to mash little things like that if I'm not realllllll careful.

Nice moss, Cindy! I have found that pings separate from one another in time. my attempts, especially with P. primuliflora, have ended up as butcher jobs. Mexican pings are easier that P. primuliflora, though.

Definitely let them get bigger before separating them. I had the same thing with my P 'sethos' and a year later now, and they are about the size of a quarter and I will be splitting them. They are much easier to pull apart when they are bigger and when they are mexican pings as their roots do not go very deep at all.

I think you could go either way. I have separated clumps of equally tiny Mexican Pinguicula plantlets and have found that this is often the impetus they need to begin active growth. Just make sure that they are not exposed to very bright light and are not allowed to dry out for the first few days after transplanting. One of the things I love most about these plants is that I can place leaf pullings all around the mother plant(s) in a pot and then come back and find plantlets galore.

Cheers,
Corey

Good eyesight, or a nice magnifyer, disecting needles and/or fine tipped forceps, fresh media and less competition with their sister plants more quickly produce larger, healthier plants.

i dont know much about pinguicula, I only grow 2 species, I got a Sethos from BCK for my b-day a while back, BTW- Its blooming now BCK. I toom around 10 cutting of it jsut incase the plant went into "only producing non-cp leaves" they all rooted luckily and are prducing plantlets if those plants mature, you should have a heck of a clump

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Definitely let them get bigger before separating them. I had the same thing with my P 'sethos' and a year later now, and they are about the size of a quarter and I will be splitting them.

Had you split them right away, you'd probably have a dozen blooming size plants by now
smile_m_32.gif

Cindy, from what I can tell your plant was probably rotting due to the choice of potting media. Even "dormant" plants should have more than 2-3 leaves... Try peat/sand/perlite.

Peter

Thank you, everyone.
smile.gif

I have separated them into three clumps..could not separate them further than that or I will end up with individual leaves.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Peter, I moved two of the three clumps into a new medium of perlite/LFS. One is left on the original spot just for me to see if there is any difference in growth rate.

Back