What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterwork rehabilitation

My Butterwort has rotted all the way from overwatering. I currently keep it indoors, uncovered, with natural light. I keep it in a plastic tray and water it when necessary. Outside is not an option as of yet. I live in Michigan and it is still pretty cold. Any advice to promote growth would be greatly appreciated.

I have a digital pic but I can't seem to download it to this post.

The only advice I have is if the center of the plant has rotted it's unlikely to recover and your best bet is to start several leaf cuttings. You might start leaf cuttings anyway to have spare plant should anything else happen to your plant in the future.

How do I start leaf cuttings? I'm pretty new at this

leaf pullings as they are called are EXTREMLY easy and rewarding to do. google the topic "butterwort propagation" and you will get several sites giving you steps on how to do so. ther is also a topic on how to do it at the top of this forum.
good luck!
alex

Or... I can just describe a tried and true way. Just take some slightly moist soil media and place in a baggie. Pull leaves to include the white part and place leaves on top of the media, with the white part slightly submerged. Seal baggier and place at an east window sill and ignore for a few weeks. By then, you should see the emergence of a tiny new plant from each leaf. If, however, the leaf disintegrates - remove and toss. It's dead. Bon chance!

jim the submerging of the white part of the leafe causes it to rot. has'nt any one told you that the white part is where the new plant's start from if the plant in question is  of mexican decent. ( think of it like a jade plant you pull the leafe off the jade plant and woah without putting it in the soil it makes leaves
confused.gif
... and then adventurus roots to look for water! (i think it's african but similar enviroment)
these plants are from dry arid places, best suted for being disturbed and starting new plants from those scatered but NEVER submerged leafs.

also i suspect your natural light levals of causing your plants to die! invest in a cheepo walmart $6.00 under cabnet light fixture.
right next to them should be the 50cent florecent bulb replacments , get a warm white and a soft white bulb combo.
if you want them to have seasons swap then one day under lights and one day on the window seal.

how much closer to the Equator is mexico again and how much closer to the north pole is michagen ? ( now what place has higher light levels ? north or south , true it's not on the equator but they still are getting more light than us here in the NORTHERN hemisphere!

remember to respect these plants natural amunitys and natural environment .
you can't just through a flytrap out into the saltwater misty air on the beach front and hope for it to adapt....even if you give it the R/o water and good peat .. that kind of person would never think to check for sea salt deposits on the plant leavs of killing there baybe flytrap, now would they ?
hope i don't come acrost as a know it all but i don't realy care ,  what i do care about is YOUR plants liveing.
!!!!!
good growing

I have read of conflicting thoughts on the white part. My experience is that the leaves haven't rotted with that approach. They rotted when I placed them in swampy, live LFS, but slightly moist media in an enclosed baggie has been 100% successful for me. Maybe others had their media a little too moist?

Read closer, Jim. He is talking Mexican butterwort. The fellow who started this post did not mention where it came from, or species. Temperate pings do well under the method you describe. I don't do Mexican pings, so they are no doubt different from temperates. Your method works for me too. Damp, not soaked!
BTW. What's a butterwork? LOL!

But Mexican butterworts are what I have been propogating by this approach. I'm just employing what a couple others have prescribed and it works. I don't bury the white part; I kinda anchor the leaf with it, since it is slightly curved.

I'll be darned! And I use it on temperates too. Still, we don't know what species he had.

True, we don't. I have also had success by placing leaves, again Mexican, right next to the parent plant (a la Capslock), but some have rotted away. Someone sent me a P. 'Aphrodite' that was in flower and all its leaves arrived scattered from the center. So I placed all leaves and the flower stalk in the media. After now having replanted all my pings and Utrics, I see that I have 4 new plants, including the one from the stalk. Those were all embedded in the media, without covering. At least one leaf rotted away, but not before producing a plant first.

I used the method you described Jim, when I took cuttings of my P. laueana × P. emarginata (?). From the seven leaves I started with I ended up with 15 plants. I think you may be right about having the moss too wet causing cuttings to rot. I also have a ceph cutting going in the same bag and it's doing well.

And the potosciensis you sent me 16 months ago is the one that is now sending up a flower stalk! All the rest are still alive and perhaps they will follow suit, soon.
smile.gif

Here is a picture of my Butterwort. It is currently outside as the weather is getting nicer.

Is there any hope for growth?

DetroitHouse017.jpg

Should I cover to encourage regrowth?

I think covering it is what made it rot in the first place.

-Ben

I think it rotted when I overwatered it during the winter months.

Back